Video on Making Brass Trombones?

Wm. R. Robertson

You might just wonder why would this fit on this forum.... Well it is all about bending brass tubing. Will these methods work in miniature? I have no idea... But it is interesting to think about.

We can learn or steal ideas from anywhere.....

I tried this method, metal spinning, I made couple of plates - made of copper:

7629992280_2366b44940.jpg

And brass:

7684040096_7395c66374.jpg

Then I moved to something else, don't remember why I stopped my experiments.

Very cool, do you have any pictures of your set up in the lathe?

I'll try to find the pics, but it was very basic, wooden spinning chuck , old screwdriver that was transformed into blunt tool. The only problem was a tool rest - usually spinners make their own with thick stell pins to fit into multiple holes in the tool rest, but I made very simple one with the only one hole :))

The rest is just a matter of practice - to get to know when it's time for annealing, because of the small diameters,  and brass needs it for just about every spun shape. Trimming was also quite difficult for me.

In the beginning I was thinking of making a brass lamp top, looks like a fun project to me. Just need some extra time:

This is fascinating, I suppose one can turn the shape you want out of steel and hold it with a collet in the lathe to do the spinning with the brass, especially if you want a few of the same shape. In this last video...it looked like beeswax they put on the brass before they started the shaping. Guess one will need to get inventive with tools to shape it with. Victoria, your mini bowls looks great...extra time, I suppose we all need a few extra lives to do everything we would like to try.

As to the brass tube bending...water turned into ice...wow, we all can do that, no fancy stuff needed, think I am going to try that over the weekend just for fun to see how it works.

This forum is really great, only been going for a few short weeks and already I have been exposed to so many new things I didn't know about!

I have done metal spinning on a few projects, the best results were the lamps in my Architect's Office and Classroom. These were spun in tin, just the wide part of the shade, the narrow bell part was too hard to get the metal around with out kinking so it was a found stamped part and soldered to the shade. Then I baked on the enamel.

DSCN1161_zpsd2b070c0.jpg

More of that project can be seen here http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/index.php?/topic/7-architects-office-circa-1900/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived