Architects' Office circa 1900

Wm. R. Robertson

Architects’ Office circa 1900

When Wm. R. Robertson built his Architects’ Classroom for the Toy & Miniature Museum in the 1990's, he created this smaller version for himself. The Architects’ Classroom has become an iconic miniature, having been featured on covers of magazines around the world.  This piece, created by the artist to enjoy in his home, effectively evokes the same spirit by including a selection of choice items and details. The artist has lent it out for temporary exhibitions at the Musée de la Civilisation, Quebec, Canada and the Staatliche Kunst-gewerbemuseum, Dresden, Germany.

The furnishings are copied from period examples. The table bases are cast in white bronze and machined. A gear mechanism raises the large table; the smaller table's tilt feature tightens with a cam lock. The stools raise, lower, turn, and roll on casters. The arm chair was made by Paul Runyon, a mentor from whom Robertson learned so much. Instrument chests have working latches, real paints, brushes, rolling and ebony parallels, pear wood curves. etc. The ivory rules and nickel silver protractors are individually engraved. Tee squares include an adjustable example and one patterned after Starrett's with a cast head. Triangles have edges lined in rosewood. Other tools include working dividers, pencil sharpeners, slop dishes, ink pens, ink stands, etc. The glazed and framed prints cover the wall. The floor lamp has a spun and enameled metal shade and is adjustable for height. The steel wire waste basket has 1020 solder joints.

DSCN1150_zps75dabdf1.jpg

DSCN1152_zps94af9796.jpg

DSCN1155_zps720d600e.jpg

DSCN1154_zps7aa6a1c0.jpg

I have seen photos of the class room, love the smaller version too, there is just so much to look at, I discover something new every time. And the green color of the wall and door sets the furniture off to perfection.

• 2 months later...

When I got to see this in person at Chicago International 2014, I could hardly take my eyes off of it.  I've loved the classroom in pictures for years.  The detail is beyond perfection!  I love the green wall color too, Elga.  When I was growing up, we called it "school green".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Way too cool!

I like that door a lot too.

That green is what I've always associated with Wegewood china which comes in that color

08hH4VK.jpg

I have always loved the class room.  Which I believe has now been sold. The smaller version is also magnificent with all the incredible detail. I agree that the green is the perfect period color for the scene.

Catherine, the smaller version sold in Chicago this year.  I was so lucky to see it!  I don't know how Bill could bear to part with it.

I think this is one of the great miniature rooms, period. I still have the magazine that it was featured on just because I

thought it was so awesome!

I have known Bill R. for quite a few years yet every time I see the two architect rooms my mind blows away. One would think i would become immune  to it but Bill keeps doing something off the wall and exciting.

I know I've bought 2 magazines just because of articles on the original Architects classroom miniature, thank you for sharing these, these are even more special and wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

I could repeat what you have all said plus my father was an architect and he died when I was 15 so this is even more emotional for me.

Archived