Hello from Victoria.

Victoria

Hello, My name is Victoria, I live in Moscow, Russia.

I started making miniatures five years ago, at first it was a birthday gift for my Mom, a small roombox,at the time I had no special tools, still it was a very special experience. Since then I tried to make all kinds of miniatures - polymer clay food, petit point, bobbin lace in miniature, but furniture making is still my favourite.

This kind of hobby was very very new in Russia when I began building my first dollhouse, so my blog was the only one on the subject, it felt a bit lonely. Later I discovered a wonderful community on Blogger and Facebook, I feel very lucky to be invited to this forum too!

This is my latest project - bedroom set in art nouveau style, brass-inlaid chair and a dresser, all made of pear wood.

14098069686_bb0b544c4d_z.jpg

We have no IGMA like guilds or schools, so  I'm in a steep learning curve - woodworking books and Youtube videos are still the best source of information :)

It's wonderful to be here with all of you.

Welcome to the forum Victoria, so glad to have you here, your work is an inspiration, it just shows if one is really determined to learn, you can, even if you live far away from other miniaturists and attending classes are impossible. For those of you who don't know Victoria's work, treat yourself and go and have a look at her blog.

Welcome Victoria, your work is very interesting, it is of a style we normally do not see being done in miniature. Your country also has such a long tradition for creating beautiful objects from Peter the Great's turnings to Faberge's Imperial eggs.

As miniatures get more popular it seems there are more quality classes offered, and they seem to heading east in your direction with the guild GSP in London and Miniatures I Tune in Denmark.

Thank you all for your comments,

Welcome Victoria, your work is very interesting, it is of a style we normally do not see being done in miniature. Your country also has such a long tradition for creating beautiful objects from Peter the Great's turnings to Faberge's Imperial eggs.

I don't know why but art nouveau style is very very popular in Russia, probably because we have some wonderful examples of architecture in St Petersburg and other cities. There were also several woodworking magazines published in 19th century devoted to this so called "new style" as well as some books with drawings.

I also fond of Russian classicism in furniture, I have couple of albums, just need to find time to make mini versions of the pieces.

That chair is gorgeous! Welcome. I paint and sculpt in miniature. but have been fascinated with Faberge for as long

as I can remember. I was lucky to see an exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago several years ago of 'Treasures from

the Kremlin' which included several Faberge eggs, in addition to completely jeweled cloaks from Russian churches, and

a million other wonderful things. The artistry was amazing!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Victoria,

I like your work very much. It is quite difficult to see examples of art nouveau in miniature. I follow your blog since you started to publish it in english.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Glad to see you here! I was an exhibitor on KDF this May, was surprised to hear that art nouveau is quite rare, it's such a beautiful style, and so different -every country brought something new and unique.

Hello Victoria,

I like your work very much. It is quite difficult to see examples of art nouveau in miniature. I follow your blog since you started to publish it in english.

Archived