Scroll saw recommendation

Kathe

Hi, 

can someone recommend a scroll saw? I'd like to do intricate cuts. Would I need a saw that accepts jewelers blades? I've not used a scroll saw before. Thanks! 

Hi, Kathe, I would recommend a Hegner variable speed scroll saw, made in Germany. They are not cheap, but well built and worth every penny over the long haul. I have been using mine for over 25 years. gail

I have owned both the Hegner and Excalibur saws. I prefer the Excalibur for several reasons; the head tilts instead of the table making cuts other than 90 degrees easier, and no tools required for blade changes. The Excalibur is no longer being manufactured but Seyco (seyco.com) is now producing a similar saw of its own design incorporating all the functions of the Excalibur. I am not affiliated with Seyco.

Cheers, Guy

What are you cutting out?  Hegner scroll saws are a little expensive for my taste... at this rate for Amazon's retail price of a Hegner, I would spend the top of the line money on a hegner on a fully loaded mill.  if you are selling, and pay US taxes,  and then can write off your equipment cost, well that is a different story.  Now if found one at auction or craigs list I would consider upgrading...

I am happy with our full size band saw when I need power and my jewelers saw when I need intricate small cuts.  I am amazed at the precision and accuracy I am able to achieve with a jewelers saw.   Yes, it is most likely that a scroll saw will require blades that take a tiny tab at the top and bottom and these are different from flat jewelers saw's blades. Geoff Wonnacott introduced me to the jewelers saw and my appreciation for such a simple tool increased about 300% in a two day class as I was amazed at what could be accomplished without electricity.

I like a band saw because it has a fence and a guide that gives it more flexibility to use for a 'straighter' cut.  You can resaw with it for veneer or to make wood thinner, (in absence of a planer).  My opinion does not reflect any experience with either of the scroll saws mentioned.  I have had a gently used Delta scroll saw in my shop for years, and years before the Delta,  I had a brand new black & decker variable speed scroll saw, that we purchased at Lowes, clearanced very inexpensively and I always used the band saw...

I don't sell miniatures, and I only pretend to make them, as they don't seem to get finished very quickly... we buy most of my equipment in our community at auction.  We paid $80 for my delta scroll saw and the stand, and it is a very nice model, but I hardly ever use it...it sits next to my lathe in our workshop, but I trot off to the band saw 99% of the time.  I keep the scroll saw, because as Guy indicated, you can cut wood at an angle... which is nice for an inlay...

http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/topic/191-a-new-style-of-jewelers-saw/

The Jewelers saw is not electric... and what I would generally try first, even though I have power equipment.  Scroll down to Bill Robertson's 2nd post on May 25, 2014.  I am also using the grobet jewelers saw at the forum's recommendation.  I purchased it from Gesswein, and the saw blades from Rio Grande...  I paid $2 for my first jewelers saw - used from St. Vincent de Paul's tool section.  Rio Grande has really nice blades...   It is a nice tool, and now that I re-read the post, I definitely see the wisdom of having two of them with two different size blades on the bench.  I just used my jewelers saw to cut off the end of my unimat's steel tool rest, as it was just a little too long for my spindles that I was working on.

If you are making a lot of items, like kits for a club meeting, or selling,  then power equipment is the way to go... but a one of piece... I would use my jewelers saw...  this is NOT a coping saw that you buy at the home improvement store... but it is similar, I also use a saw rest, that I clamp to my kitchen countertop when I am working at home... My rest was customized for a specific height for me...  here is the V-Clamp and block that illustrates a saw rest...  definitely something you can do at home if you already have a C-Clamp in your stash.

http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/topic/191-a-new-style-of-jewelers-saw/

Archived