A new style of jeweler's saw

Wm. R. Robertson

The basic shape of a jewelers has not changed much in nearly 300 years, in the last year or so there have been two on the market that show a major change. This one is from GreenLion.

Here is the link to their site. http://greenlionstudios.com/

I bought one and have used it a little, it is heavy compared to the Grobet I'm use to. I really like the big clamps and blade holders, I'm not crazy about the shape of the handle, I like to roll the saw in my fingers and that doesn't work with this. I do love the new shape......

Oh well, just one more saw to add to my collection..... I sort of collect antique jeweler's saw.... Some day I'll post some.

post-5-0-46897100-1400944257_thumb.jpg

Bill, we know this is your favorite tool… it is good to see someone reevaluating the design.  It is certainly a very pleasing shape, but I'd have to agree with you that the handle shape doesn't lend itself to easy adjusting in the hand.   I think I might miss the adjustable blade length feature…often used by those of us who know how to snap a new blade with the greatest of ease. 

The good news is that the new design will look beautiful in a display of tools.  

The jewelers saw is one of my favorite tools too. While this one is attractive (for a saw) I know it wouldn't be for me. I can't see any benefit to the new design.

True I'm not crazy about the handle on this new one, the handle is also fairly heavy. But I do like the shape.

I have only used one of those KNEW saws for a few minutes so to soon to have an opinion. I heed to break down and buy one.

My favorite has been the Grobet fixed frame, very light, great visibility, good blade clamps... Could be better, nice handle, comfortable. These can be bought from lots of places on most continents.

http://www.grobetusa.com/swiss-jewelers-standard-sawframe-2-3-4-depth-fixed-item-49-722/

For most work a fixed frame is fine, the idea of using broken blades is a waste of time with modern blades, when you grip them by the teeth there is a inherent weak spot and they will just break again.

I bought the Grobet in NYC two years ago, our club members had to buy jeweler's saws for a project we did earlier this year and had to learn with a heavier saw, so far I haven't been able to find them in South Africa...a pity because the light weight makes it such a pleasure to use.

I have several regular jeweler's saws hanging on the wall or knocking around a drawer but I always have my Grobet handy on a hook just to the right of my bench top.  The only drawback of the Gorbet is chips getting in the lower blade socket. I handle that by just poking the blade through a tiny piece of paper and then sliding the paper down to cover the hole.  

I have that problem too with the bottom blade holder, what I do is when replacing a blade I just tap it upside down on the saw rest and all that stuff comes out. If you are cutting metal with something like Burr-Life it gets a little clogged in there.... Maybe a few times a year I take both the knob and the screw on the other side out and clean it out real good.

I normally keep a couple on my brench.... One with a 4/0 and another with a 8/0 blade.

Archived