Smaller sailing ship painting

Ben

I'm posting a smaller painting I've made recently.  Admittedly this painting is less a fine miniature than a novelty painting 

IMG_4199.JPG

hmmm... smaller then a dime... did you use the cat whisker too?  I wonder how it would look in an appropriate setting...  I see the sun through the clouds.... I bet our smaller scales miniaturists would like this painting!  I'm wondering if this would be perfect for the quarter scale world.  I've got a 1/4 scale store kit in front of me right now and I think it is the right size for quarter scale.  

It is fun to see that you are painting smaller, and smaller.... 

I didn't know that there was a 1/4 scale.  Perhaps you mentioned it before, in that case I'm sorry. Do you have a kit that you are making a miniature store or store front?  I'm very impressed by you guys ( and gals).  I look with awe at your tables and chairs etc.  I'm all thumbs when it comes to that sort of craftsmanship.  I'm embarrassed to say I failed in my attempt to make a birdhouse the other day with my son!  I'm actually not kidding- I couldn't make it correctly!  In these things I have little patience.

Going smaller is interesting but you really begin to sacrifice detail quick.  I'm still working on Mona Lisa face.  The whole thing becomes more of an impressionistic  painting. Yes I did use a cat whisker for much of it but not all.  I think I like a more 1/12 scale that allows for more detail.  

But if there is a market for 1/4 scale paintings I'm all for trying my hand at it.

There is nothing wrong with failed attempts that is how we learn.   Believe me, I have the equivalent of an advance degree in the world of hard knocks also known as failed attempts in our 1/12th scale world.  I've just spent about 6 hours practicing turning pens, (in advance), so I can teach my grandson how to turn a pen for his mother's birthday. We just drilled the pen blanks together yesterday and super glued the brass inserts... and I kept my mistakes so he could see them. I blew out a portion of the pen, trying to make it slimmer.  You are creating wonderful memories.  

(My goal is that my grands come bouncing in to the shop on weekend and want to create something, but their grandmother taught them how to use a lathe.  Unless a piece comes flying off of the lathe, you are not likely to hurt yourself on a lathe and of course I purchased appropriate sized safety glasses...they are just like mine, only smaller.  I have about 4-5 years to plant that seed until he is off to independence...and experiencing life)

I am referring to "quarter scale" as a casual observer,  but I know we have some forum members who work in smaller scales and better suited to the subject, but I picked up a kit at the museum attic sale for a couple of bucks - found it to be an interesting structure, that I could use the model as model for 1/12th scale...  

I could be dreadfully wrong, but I think my model kit is for HO scale of 1:87, so go to the railroad store in your area, and take your painting with you; it is the fastest way to see if the paining is the appropriate size.  

Thanks for the response and encouragement.  I'll give it another go.  

I took a look at the miniatures classes that you spoke of weeks ago.  I don't know that I would be able to attend next year or not but it looked pretty nice and well done.  I talked to my wife and she's considering.  

Ben

Master Miniaturists Johannes Landman offers a 36 hours class and the subject is an exquisite peacock, and Phyllis Hawkes is offering a 24 hour class "Sailing on Penobscot Bay" Painting.... class samples may be available at the Masterworks event in September.... Both classes may fill, so if you are interested in attending, do consider pre-registering so you can be included in the lottery.  Students can take 36 hours or 48 hours (with an additional fee)... and you are not limited to painting... but if painting is your passion, why not try a class with an expert?  (Ok,, I admit I am biased about our artisans across the globe...).  Natalia, one of our newest Artisans in Needlework, here on the forum, clued me in that the classes were announced on the IGMA Guild School facebook page recently for 2018.  (Thanks Natalia!) 

If no opportunity to go to Guild School next year, then perhaps consider, taking a Southwest flight from MCI to Midway (Chicago) for the April 2018 Tom Bishop Show.  Tom's show is the largest show in the world... Leslie Smith is another artist of incredible detail; and I really admire his work.  

(I've been watching SW flights since the announcement of the Masterworks, and I've seen airfares as low as $49 each way.... of course weird times, but you can't beat the price vs. driving 7-8 hours each way...)

As I observe the work of fine art painters, I am in awe of their skill.... 

You've got me interested.  I will check out Tom Bishop and Leslie Smith (I'm pretty new at the world of Miniatures) I will do some research on the guild school to see if it's something I can do.  I was in New Haven CT last summer and had lobster rolls for the first time.  I also had real clam chowder and I've come to the conclusion that east coast folks live pretty well!  So I expect Maine would be great and my wife would love it.  Besides anything to get out of the heat!

Its starting to get warm here (KC) but I expect it will be more comfortable in September for the Masterworks program.  

Ben

Archived