1830's Chess and Backgammon table

ElgaKoster

I designed this 1830's chess and backgammon table after looking at lots of antique examples. I used only South African woods for this table, the main wood is candle wood and the chess and backgammon board is made of boxwood (we have our own indigenous species of boxwood that grows in the Cape Province) and blackwood. The backgammon pieces and dice are loose and can come out of their storage compartments. The drawer has individual compartments for the chess set that I still need to turn. The table top is reversable with a plain surface when not in use. This was one of my most challenging pieces to build to date.

image.jpeg.470f81bf18814827548da5bf81d5c292.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.de4d4b9ff0eda80b11e0284f2ed7f337.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0db19f14848fe177283fa946b014aefc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0dd3d3d4dbbb2baa4f51cc9ab4fee045.jpeg

This is a wonderful piece... I can imagine the round pieces flying around the room as you turned them off, I still haven't tried this, but wanted to make some tiny little brass washers for a machining skill building task.  It is a great piece!    

Great to have you back posting in the forum...

Colliefeathers I use one or two coats of Danish oil a base coat and as many layers of Teak oil that is necessary for a good even finish, this often depends on the type of wood.

Tamra when I cut off small pieces like this I try to stop just before the bit breaks through and twist the piece of by hand. Sanding the discs was another story!

Archived