Greetings from Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Huibrecht

Hello Everybody! Welcome from windswept Holland.

My name is Huibrecht. I am 38 years old and live in Rotterdam. I have studied history and law. And I am new to this wonderfully intricate hobby.

I have always admired quality miniatures but until recently I never thought I would attempt to make any of them myself. I do enjoy, apart fro writing fiction in my spare time, making pencil drawings of fictitious buildings as a hobby. From a small pavilions and mausoleums up to two cathedrals and some trainstations. My designs are not professional or academic but I like to give them realistic proportions and stay true to a specific historical architectural (neo)style. Although mixing styles into a personal eclecticism Is also very enjoyable. :-)

But since I have seen several wonderful miniatures and some exquisite 17th and 18th century dolls' houses/ babycabinets, I want to try my hand in creating miniature furniture myself. I hope to share the first succesfull results soon.

Huibrecht.

Hey Huibrecht!  Welcome to the forum - look forward to seeing your work!!

Hello Huibrecht!    Approx 9.25 hours from you, there is a similar Miniature learning event, July 10-14, 2017 in Denmark.  

http://www.miniatureitune.com/danish/

If you haven't planned your vacation, perhaps you may want to look at this learning experience to jump start miniature making efforts.  

The forum has been quiet, but this week miniaturists from all over the globe are atttending Guild School in Castine, Maine, USA.  I have not attended the Miniatures in Tune event, but if I understand correctly, the event is similar to our Guild School in the States.

It looks like a hour flight to London, so if you get the opportunity do attend the Kensington Dollshouse Festival.  I think they have two shows a year, 1 in May, and 1 in December... I am sure this show would amaze anyone, new or long time collector; The Kensington Show is definitely on my wish list.   http://www.dollshousefestival.com/

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you, Darren and Weekendiniaturist, for welcoming me to your forum.

As soon as I have something worthy to show, I will certainly share it with you all. And I also hope to learn from all the knowledge and experience that is gathered here. 

For now I concentrate on reading up on miniatures. I have for that reaason acquired John Davenport's "making miniature furniture," Graham Spaldings "Making unusual miniatures," and Harry W. Smith's The art of making furniture in  Miniature." 

@ Weekendminaturist: Unfortunatey we have already planned our summer vacation, because Danmark does sound very interesting. For those who are lucky enough to be in Castine right now, I hope that their endeavours succeed. And Yes, the Kensington fair in December is on my wishlist. I hope that I will be able to go there his year.

Huibrecht.

You have chosen excellent books, and I have all three in my library.  Check out the tool that Harry Smith has for making hinges.  I want to figure how to make that tool!  Did he grind it by hand?  Can you take the pliers apart so it is easier to grind by hand? Creating a Stamp for hardware is also fascinating reading.    I think, if I remember properly, John Davenport did some castings, and I have a few of his pieces that I have found at our shows that I really enjoy.  All three of these books are very inspirational...

I'm glad that you know about the fair in London!  

It is fun to have international participants in the forum; my geography skills are also improving...

Archived