Have questions about some Miniatures.

Futant_1

Hello. Last year I came in to possession of about 1,000 individual items from a miniature museum that closed in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the owner passed away. These mostly were the items that was in storage at the owners residence. Most of the museum items were auctioned off. I also got some items that wasn't auctioned with everything else that was at the museum. 

I have been slowly going through the many boxes of them. I would only like some help Identifying some of the artist initials on items as I come across ones I can't find any info on. Or when I come across items I just don't know the name of. All the items are from the late 1970s to the late 1990s. I have found 2 or 3 items dated as late as 1993.

Currently I can't find a possible name for the initials 'IL' on some head shaped hat stands dated from the year 1981 and 1983. 

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, "IL" is so general.  Collectors assume that an item signed or initialed is by the creator, but the initials could be a designation of who owned the piece too.   

I suggest posting a photo.  

Perhaps you can talking to miniaturists with a long history of collecting...

Perhaps you can research miniature magazines or miniature catalogs... you may find a like piece published in a mini publication and that will give you a clue of the maker.  

• 8 months later...

Hi, this a very late response but perhaps it would be helpful. The book A Reference Guide to Miniature Makers Marks by Alice and Lee Frank (1996, ISBN 0-9644481-0-6) can be very helpful. Which miniature museum was it that closed? Perhaps you might be able to locate some former staff who could be helpful. Current miniature museum staff may know of staff from other museums. Hat stands could be classified under clothing, fashion, furniture, accessories...you see the problem in looking up a makers mark. And the previous comment is also valid, photos are a huge help. Best of luck in your search and please let us know if you have more questions.

I can't remember the name of the museum. It was a small one. The owners remodeled a 2 car garage with an attached 600sqft building into the museum on their property they lived on. They were the only employees. They've both passed. Thank you for the book suggestion. I will look into that. I currently have them packed away for storage. I planned on starting to ID them again when it starts getting hot outside and I'm spending my time inside. 

Sounds like a plan! How unfortunate that they are both gone. Please don’t hesitate to post pics, etc here once you get back into it, you never know who might recognize something!

Archived