Miniature Planes for Taking a Tiny Shaving Off

Wm. R. Robertson

When I am fitting parts together I often want to take just a few thousandths of an inch off. The best way to do that would be with a plane. But all the commercially made ones are too big, at least for me. So I have made a bunch over the years. These are similar to a English Miter or Chariot planes. Just like their full sized counterparts some have brass sides and steel bottoms dovetailed together.  They have hard steel blades and rosewood infills and are a joy to use.

DSCN0149_2_zps7cf86395.jpg

Some of these are set to take about a half thousandth of an inch shaving per pass……. the one on the pencil is my favorite….. I use it all the time.

DSCN6053_zpsc0e16caa.jpg

Such a joy to see a well made, well loved and proper functional tool! It's one of things I discovered pretty quick while making miniatures. There's hardly a hardware store in town that can help you with your specific needs when it comes to tools. Alas, you have to make your own.

Trouble sometimes is that one thing leads to another... To make that drawer fit snug, you might want to make a plane like yours.... But then you're faced with making the threaded adjustment screws.... and now you have to learn how to mill them out first....  You see where I'm going?

But when you've managed all of that, and you have made a tool that fit your needs it's a joy to use them every day. 

I was lucky to receive my dads apprentice piece that he had to make when he was in trade school; a miniature vise, scaled down from a real one. No small scale vise I've ever seen comes close. You might remember it when i brought it with me in the bone chest class at Trees'? You thought it was that good, you offered to buy it from me. But a great tool is like a great lover. Never let them go! :)

Oh yes, I do remember that vise.... And I did make an attempt to add it to my collection before I realized it was a family piece. One of the other things I do in life is collect antique tools... This all started when I went in search of tools to use that were not being made... Hence, buy out the tools of craftsman from the last 200 years or so.... And I do use many of them.

I think it was a Thomas Carlisle said " Man is a tool using animal".... Maybe we need to change that to Man is a tool making and using animal?

A Stanley #60 block plane, mounted upside down in a vis,e makes an excellent miunuature jointing tool. I just tried the one on Pam's bench.  The shaving measure .002" which seems to work well in practice.  Great for fitting drawer fronts.

• 1 month later...

I just used the plane with the pencil in Bill's class at guild school.  I'm in love with it!  I've never felt that way about a tool before.

Archived