Pro Grade Sandpaper

WeekendMiniaturist

My instructor at GS2015 introduced me to a new kind of sandpaper...  Sandpaper that is NOT paper backed.

3M manufactures an ultra flexible sanding sheet of Sandpaper in 100, 150, 220 and 320 grit.  Look for the product in 3M's Pro Grade Precision line.  The product labels indicates it lasts 15x longer.... I don't know that is accurate, but I am pleased with the product. 

I like this film backed sandpaper because it is the first product that I can apply carpet tape to a dowel and then this flexible backed sanding sheet to make my own dowel rod sanding sticks of different sizes.  Previously, I always managed to get a crease in the sandpaper for the bend around the dowel... I frequently end up with a wrinkle when making my own sanding sticks with paper backed sandpaper, and those wrinkles can affect your finish.    I have found this product at Lowe's, Home Depot and Menard's big box stores, generally in the paint section...

I hope this link from 3M will work for you.  If not google search 3M pro grade sandpaper.

http://diy.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-DIY-NA/DIY/Promotions/Advanced-Abrasives/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=ABRSV_Exact_3m_pro_grade_sandpaper_Bing

I bought some last year upon return from GS 2015, but tonite I found it marked down at Home Depot... so it may be less expensive at your local store too.

Thank you for this info Tamra, I will have to see if it is available in South Africa, we don't get the full range of 3M products here.

• 1 month later...

Archived