Search for Fine Miniature makers below the radar

Member1

A group of us is trying to put together a comprehensive list of miniature artists working in the decorative arts field. We are looking for people that one could say stay below the radar and our not well known. We already have on the list anyone associated with IGMA, big shows like Chicago and miniature museums. We're looking for those that fall between the cracks. Qualifying characteristics are,

Do really fine quality work

Sell their work

Would consider traveling to the US for a very special event

If you are such an artist or know of one please, send an email to fineminiaturesforum@gmail.com with contact information. We don't want to miss anybody.

Thanks.

I think the artistic world sees Decorative Arts as items that are both decorative (beautiful, pleasing to the eye) but also functional

A Tiffany stained glass lamp is decorative and functional as a lamp.

Fine Art would be objects that exist just to be seen and appreciated, like a painting or a sculpture.

I personally think of miniatures as Fine Art, as they really do not have any function, except to bring us pleasure in their beauty.

Tamra

Decorative Arts are generally considered to useful things made for a purpose other than to just look pretty. This includes furniture, silverware, ceramics, etc. ( see list below) all of which are useful whereas a painting is purely to look at and is considered fine art.

post-3-0-21229500-1455329249_thumb.jpeg

Miniatures do have a function in that they are often meant for play and teaching. Toys are included in the decorative arts category at museums although they are generally located in their own rooms as a way of creating a more interesting exhibit focused on the aspect of things made for the stage of life when very young.

• 1 year later...

I don't think a list was created and published on the Fine Miniatures Forum, but that list probably resulted in the Masterworks Miniature Event at the Kansas City Toy & Miniature Museum Event September 2017.

Invitations were sent for people to be considered to enter the contest and sell at the First Ever Masterworks Event co-sponsored by IGMA and the T/m Museum.  Definitely, there were people at this event, that I have never heard/seen their work in person, and it was a great event to attend. 

http://www.toyandminiaturemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MuseumMaps_Final.pdf

I hope the Guild does this again!  It had that same feel as a patron's party at huge museum, except the scale was better at the T/m Masterworks event.

Do you dream of being on the other side of the table?  I didn't check to see if everyone was an Artisan / Fellow of the Guild... if you want to be on the selling side of the table, time to work on those projects to submit for your Artisan Membership...?  I don't know that there will be a Masterworks II, but one never knows and it is good to give yourself options!

Thank you so much for such a prompt response! I did see info about the Masterworks event but we decided eventually that it was too close to the IGMA show that we were already committed to attending (and which we both LOVED, and my spouse is not an over-the-top miniaturist, highly recommend that anyone who can attend do so, the new location in CT is amazing). Thanks for letting me know that there isn’t a list...may I suggest that one be created? It would help both the Artisans and folks looking to buy/collect. As for being an IGMA artisan, that is way beyond my ability, but thank you for the suggestion! I and my spouse are general IGMA members to show support for the amazing Artisans, but we have very pedestrian abilities. My husband is a genius at electronics, me not so much a genius at anything! But we have fun, and that’s what counts in the end.

I am also an IGMA General Member :) and glad that you are too.  Have you seen the Guild's published member list of Artisans and Fellows of the Guild?

http://www.igma.org/members/artisanlisting.html

http://www.igma.org/members/fellowlisting.html

Some of these Guild Members do not sell and or have websites but their work may be published in the Miniature Magazines.  Therefore I think the folks flying 'below the radar' would be the people that are not listed as Artisans and Fellows of the Guild, but perhaps selling on a very limited, local basis...

Perhaps if Member 1 is reading the forum we might get a response on the results...

I was fortunate to attend the Guild Show in 2011 and 2012, and I know I must get back to the show... The back to back events were probably planned to give our international vendors the opportunity to sell at two events, while here in the US.

Booknut, Have you attended the Chicago International?  It is the ultimate miniature destination....  and oh!   Guild School gives the 'students of the arts' that nudge and over time, we are able to develop skills, and confidence - to grow our next generation of Fine Miniature Artisans... so you never know ... One week in Castine, and it can change your creative life!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, sorry for the delay in my response, small family crisis took over my time for a bit! We’ve been to Chicago once, and were overwhelmed (but in a good way). We are actually planning on going again this year since we will miss the IGMA show. Now if I can just get my other half to figure out his list of things to see/see again so I can decide how many days we need in addition to the actual show! He’s more an off the cuff travel planner, me I like to have all my reservations in a nice neat row. :-) And I always require at least a full day to drool over the Thorne rooms and Colleen Moore’s Fairy Castle. Now that my spouse has figured out what all these things can cost he’s happy to indulge me with time in a place where I can’t actually buy the items!

Thanks for the list suggestions, I hadn’t thought of those.

Archived