Beware of magnets.

Bill Hudson

I saw the mention of magnetic strips, for holding tools, on another thread.  Beware of using them and anything else magnetic in you shop; your tools can also become magnetized.. I used the metal plate with magnets (like many other miniaturist)  for lay up, the magnetic strip to hold tools and even a magnetic level.  Since my knees are almost gone I can not pick stuff up from the floor so I purchased a large magnet on a handle to help.  Now most of all my tools are magnetized and I get little metal whiskers on my files, drills, pliers and even my knife blades. I am now looking to buy a demagnetizer to combat the five O clock shadows on my tools.

• Like 1

Good reminder, I will have to dig my demagnetizer out of my big roll-away toolbox and add it to the kit for my mobile workshop. I do like using a magnetic tool bar for a lot of items but I don't put my files on it.

Oh I hear you Bill! I have a nice exacto knife but it has a magnet in the end and I cannot remove it, and it picks up everything metal! HA try carving with stuff hanging off the knife. So I found a cap that fits perfectly on the end. I hate the metal filings, and even the steel wool, yeah 5:00 shadow indeed. I've only intentionally magnetized a couple tools, small screw drivers for watch repair type stuff, and not even down in the shop. I suspect it is the use of my home made magnet jigs that are causing the mess on my work table. And the knife was not helping. Funny, every time I dropped something metal and tried to find it with the magnet on the knife, nothing...but everything else metal under the sun, yeah stuck like...well...a magnet haha---

Oh I hear you Bill! I have a nice exacto knife but it has a magnet in the end and I cannot remove it, and it picks up everything metal! HA try carving with stuff hanging off the knife. So I found a cap that fits perfectly on the end. I hate the metal filings, and even the steel wool, yeah 5:00 shadow indeed. I've only intentionally magnetized a couple tools, small screw drivers for watch repair type stuff, and not even down in the shop. I suspect it is the use of my home made magnet jigs that are causing the mess on my work table. And the knife was not helping. Funny, every time I dropped something metal and tried to find it with the magnet on the knife, nothing...but everything else metal under the sun, yeah stuck like...well...a magnet haha---

You must be talking about the Veritas Carving knife holder from Lee Valley. It is the only one I know of that has a magnetic blade storage holder compartment on the end of the handle. Good idea to replace it with a different cap end, maybe I will do that with mine. It is a nice knife handle that can be used with a variety of blades types be they #11, scalpel or the heavy duty X-Acto blades. But it does not work with the scalpel blades that have a stiffening rib on them.