The Boria Spanish Savonneire

lsalati

Elga asked for a picture of the very large blue and gold carpet that I had in my roombox.  It took me awhile to find a picture and actually this one is from before it was stitched finished on the edge.  This is a chart by Joseph Boria and its biggest claim to fame is that it is huge.  It measures 11 by 14 inches when stitched on 40 ct silk gauze - that is 246,400 stitches.  It took me 14 months to complete.  I was a novice at the time and I guess I had no idea what I was getting into having only stitched a handful of things prior to this.  That was probably good as otherwise I never would have done this.  Enjoy,  Lisa

post-18-0-19332800-1398702223_thumb.jpeg

Oh my, Lisa, that's wonderful! I hope you didn't do the math beforehand and just kept stitching. I learned from my first (and abandoned) rug to start in the center, a mis-count in the border is deadly. 

Lisa has many masterpieces of PP that she has stitched for her collection.  I cannot believe this took only 14 months!  It is so beautiful and thin, and really large...  I do not have any rooms that are large enough to stitch this on 40 count, so this one would have to be wall art in my office!  Well done!

Thanks everyone.  I am bringing some more pieces to Castine.  I have only begun to dabble in design and hope to work more on that in the future.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the pleasure to see some of Lisa's masterpieces in person…. they are fantastic and as wonderful as photography can be there is nothing like seeing the nuances of color and texture in person.  I'm getting excited about seeing the exhibit in Castine this year!

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  My own favourite  enemy !!!

For those of you who are not in the position to know: I did stitch that selfsame BIG thing myself some time ago,  although not as fast as Lisa did  :unsure: ,and the stitchers arond mere will remember my whining  :mellow:​  and boy, was I happy when it was ready !!!!

Oh, yes, I certainly remember your fight with the Boria, but finish you did and I guess I was one of the few people who saw it for real while you were working on it and it is a gorgeous rug but not for the fainthearted!

( I was not able to post the pic I have and cannot find how to....  :( , the pic I gave seemsed not to be allowed. Sigh  :huh:

• 1 month later...

11"x14" is Thorne Room Size - Has anyone else stitched the Boria?  Did we see this rug at the Maysville Museum?  I have seen Lisa's rug in person, it is beautiful and so thin, and how many colors are used in the rug?  Is this a hard rug to stitch?  The floral rugs seem to offer a lot of complexity.  I still have a rose to frog out of my Nicola Mascall Design footstool to change the colors of the rose...  If I could only make myself frog the rose out; then I would be 2 weeks of work from a finished project for 2014.... hahahah...  I do not think I'm up to a 3-4 year stitching project, it could turn into a 10 year project for me, so I probably won't ever start this one.  I know that Elly and Lisa didn't take this long to stitch this rug, but I am one slow - as- a turtle miniaturist.

Tamra/Indiana

Archived