Dovetail layout tool.

Bill Hudson

I have been trying to teach myself dovetailing. I have had a problem keeping my measurements consistent. I woke up on the middle of the night with this idea.  The metal blade has the dovetail angle on one end and a 90 degree edge on the other. The wood base is square to the blade.  The wood is also the thickness of the dove tail root. It works great.

post-35-0-36020400-1448002644_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-61003000-1448002658_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-42451600-1448002677_thumb.jpg

I'm glad that you woke up in the middle of the night with this idea... proof that "sleeping on it" is a great way to solve a mini problem.  Another cool tool / jig has been born for hand cut dovetails. 

Genius!

Tamra

There are similar full size tools like this only they have both right and left angles on them but to scale them down they would be too small to use.  This is a combination tool in that it has the angle and can be flipped over for the second angle. It also has a square end for marking the top and straight lines.  The wood top is cut so that when the blade is laid on the edge of the board the half of the wooden top can be used to mark off the depth of the tail cuts.

Archived