WeekendMiniaturist

I found sanding sealer at Michael's several years ago in an aerosol.  It was made by Plaid / Folkart, and it was 40% off with a coupon. I used it to seal any wood that I was going to paint, and wow, I got the most beautiful finish using either another spray can or my airbrush after I used sanding sealer. It was soooooo smoooothh.... results like a pro....  I think it was about $8... less the 40%.  The price was reasonable in my opinion, as I can do the prep work without using my airbrush.

As I purchased a Whitledge Burgess Room Box Kit - Bond Street and received it this past April,  I went back to the stores this summer to find sanding sealer, and to my surprise, all of the Deft, Cabot, Behlen sanding sealer in a can is no longer on the shelves at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes or my local woodworking store...The folkart brand was discontinued according to Michael's website, and Hobby Lobby never carried this folk art product.

Sanding sealer is available here in a non aerosol quart size can, and I know I have a couple cans of deft sanding sealer somewhere, but to make my life more interesting, I hid them from me.

So back to the store I went...

The point of this post... if you are a fan of aerosol sanding sealer in a can, my favorite brand, FOLKART sanding sealer is available right now on eBay.  A case of 12 cost me $25 and that included shipping...

I'm sure when my sanding sealer arrives this week, that the other two cans will show themselves... but anywho... I'm set for a few years for painting all the shelves for my W-B Roombox and windows and trims for those dream, yet to be realized structures.  I will also use the sealer on my Guild Study Program fireplace and the raised panels for the room as these items are painted.

I do not know why aerosol sanding sealer has disappeared from the retailers...

Has anyone else used sanding sealer?  If not, I do hope you will try it... 

Since it is the weekend here, I hope everyone that is reading the forum has the opportunity to work on a mini project today!

Tamra

True sanding sealer contains zinc stearate.  Some products are named "sanding sealer" when the term "sealer" would be more accurate, but the Folk-Art MSDS for their sanding sealer confirms that their specific product does contain zinc stearate .  Zinc stearate is soft and fluffy and to some extent fills wood pores.  I'll bet it's real tough to pass it through an aerosol nozzle. 

That said, I've always used it from a can.  I'll have to try the aerosol stuff before it all vanishes. 

I would be interested to know if anyone sees Sanding Sealer in an aerosol can at their local retail stores.  My husband, (the cabinetmaker in real life) indicates sanding sealer is lacquer with talc added, and that resulting powder that seals the poors of the wood is what is creating my very smooth feel to the finger tips.

I am so pleased with everything that I have painted, when I've prep with sanding sealer, and I've never used sanding sealer out of the paint can....

It has been my experience that it spays just the same as rustoleum or lacquer...

Tamra

Old school furniture finish was damp sand first to raise the grain followed by oil and rottenstone rub.  I used to build custom gunstocks in the 1950s. I used oil and rottenstone for finish.  I could get it to a high shine.  

Bill, I am intriqued by your rottenstone rub... May I suggest starting a new topic so it is easier for others to find?  I have never heard of this product....

Tamra

Archived