What is on your workbench today?

WeekendMiniaturist

I am happy to report that the forum has its 525th member!  525 people worldwide who love collecting, playing, and making fine scale miniatures.  I would love to have at least 20% of you post to this topic and tell us what you are working on...I would be thrilled if we got 50% of you to share what you are working on now.

Its the dog days of summer here in the US...and the middle of winter south of the equator...

The weather is / has been perfect here in the Midwest for the past week and it looks like I'm going to get another week of beautiful days and cool evenings... so it is perfect time for me to be in the workshop.

Here are my current projects:

I'm committed to 100 hours on my lathe, so I'm hoping to spend some time with my wood lathe this weekend.  I want to make some post turnings for practice.  I need to finish the boxes from Pete & Pam's class from the NAME Convention, and I need to make a Christmas gift for my club exchange - that I have not started that is due in 2 weeks.  Maybe I'll give a box??  or a turning?  I still haven't tried any face plate turnings, and I still need to work on finishing my class from Guild School...since I'm employed and have 4 generations of family in our little city, miniatures are interrupted by working and real life.

Is it a structure?  A piece of Furniture? a beautiful textile project?  I have a long, long list of things I'm dreaming of making....hope you have time to share with the forum...

Tamra

Thanks for posting this Tamra, I would also like to see what people are working on at the moment.

I am busy making round tilt top table latches using my new indexing tool from Bill R...taking lots of photos that I will post in a separate thread under metal work, this is such a cool tool and has opened up a world of new possibilties!

And please post photos of your work Tamra.

I am working on chairs to go with my (Aunt Olga) petit point carpet I finished. I found some beautiful antique rose fabric. Linda Master carved me some legs for two matching chairs. The chairs will need some great petit point pillows to make the room pop though.

I wish Catherine S. had designed pillow charts too.

Elga, hmmm... tilt-top table latches with an indexing tool... I think a lot of people in the forum will want to tune in to your progress.  I know I love having access to cool tools on the workbench.

Catherine R, it is good to hear about your joint chair project with Linda.  You can take some design elements from Catherine S' Petitpoint chart to make chair seats or pillows... Many petitpointers will select a motif from the chart, as a test piece to see if the colors they selected will work for their petitpoint piece and if they work in the setting..  Of course you do not have a problem with the colors, but the idea of taking a motif from the chart could give you another option. I saw the finished Aunt Olga rug on your blog, and it is so beautiful. 

What kind of chairs are you making? 

Tamra

I sometimes think artistic endeavors require a certain amount of "mess", especially when you are in that place where everything is going well and working out as planned, you know the place where magic happens.  But, then the other side of my brain gets a little stressed, so I have to clean - what is really interesting is when you cleaned off your wood lathe before you left it and when you come back to it, there is sawdust everywhere....  now that required some thinking!  Then, I remembered the Dear Husband was waiting on someone and he used my lathe and didn't clean it up... I think that was payback for using his tools... I swear I put the palm sander back...

Surely, we are not the only 4 people in this forum working on something??!!!

I can't even get 10 of you to post?  Valid Excuses are that you are preparing for teaching a workshop or you are at the miniature show...or working on orders, or taking care of family business... but the rest of us... come on post and tell us what you are working on! :unsure:

Tamra

I need to finish a Christmas book box display. I cut a window in the front and built a bay window in it. I built the fireplace last spring and marbled the hearth and surround in Sue Veeder's Chicago workshop. A friend painted me a beautiful poinsettia to hang over the fireplace. Now I need to stitch stockings and put all the things I've collected in it. I may start on another roombox soon. I have several in mind that I've already collected furnishings for but need to decide which one.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I know your Christmas roombox will be wonderful!  And I really like to stitch stockings too.  They are so fun to stitch, and pretty quick projects if you can count.... (I frequently have issues with counting.)  I have been avoiding my W-B roombox - but now, you make me think that I should get the moldings out and start prepping them to paint, while I can still use my airbrush outdoors.

The workshops are a wonderful way to add your own, made-by-me additions to your roombox... and speaking of classes,

The Chicago International preview of classes are less then 2 weeks from the big reveal!

Tamra

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I am late responding to your topic, Tamra! RL does seem pretty busy now, but I have managed to get some time in on minis. On my workbench right now is my Greene & Greene Bungalow started in a wonderful class with Pat and Noel Thomas, probably 15 years ago. We did the exterior in class and then it sat for years. Made some modifications, mostly to the roof and ceiling to give the viewer a little more access. Now, the wiring and interior paneling and trim is just about done, but still needs the "ebony pegs." I've had most of the furnishings for years and am anxious to put it all together.

Martha in Louisiana

Martha, it is good to hear that you are making progress on the Greene & Greene masterpiece in the making.  Are the ebony pegs square or round?  I think my friend Kim N also participated in one of these classes, but in the WA or CA... I know it is going to be wonderful when you get this finished.

The electrical class from Guild School must have given you some confidence to continue on the wiring.  Are you going to use cypress in the floors of this project?  I was just thinking about your question, and had looked up cypress wood and was trying to remember if you were planning to use it in the Greene & Greene.

I just found my ebony piano keys that I purchased a long-time-ago for miniature making. 

I had some silly dream that I would someday make the ebony keys for a miniature piano from life size ebony keys of a real piano... silly?  but that is why I have a handful of ebony flat and sharp keys in my turnings wood box.

Tamra

Ebony pegs are square, but "faux" - out of a black core artist paper. Cypress floors are for my next build, a Louisiana Plantation bedroom. Thanks for bringing it up; I'll post it under the woodworking topic. I know you will think of something wonderful for your ebony stash!

• 1 month later...

I've been busy these days preparing for Christmas Festival in Kenstington. Unfortunately, this year I didn't have a chance to work every day on my projects, real life took over, so I'll bring just  a few items to the show.  On my workbench today - a table with marquetry top:

21891347233_66490ac108_z.jpg

Victoria, it is great to have another person post to this thread.  Your table legs look perfect from my viewpoint...I have been looking at various pieces of furniture with marquetry online and in books and wondering how to create such a wonderful piece... marquetry is yet another technique that I have not tried.  I do hope you a successful Kensington show!

Tamra

It's going to be beautiful! Please post when finished, but I also love looking at in progress photos---

Thanks 

I too would love to see the finished table Victoria, marquetry isn't something I have tried yet...I am sure one needs lots of patience to do it.

Victoria, it is great to have another person post to this thread.  Your table legs look perfect from my viewpoint...I have been looking at various pieces of furniture with marquetry online and in books and wondering how to create such a wonderful piece... marquetry is yet another technique that I have not tried.  I do hope you a successful Kensington show!

Tamra

I just love marquetry, my father made a marquetry table top for our dining room many years ago, it's still one of my happiest childhood memories, watching how flowers and leaves are created from these small pieces of wood. You never stop learning - I made several items using brass and exotic veneers but still trying different ways of cutting and arranging details, it's very rewarding process.

It's going to be beautiful! Please post when finished, but I also love looking at in progress photos---

Thanks 

I will show more WIP photos soon, half of the table top is done, just few more days :)

I too would love to see the finished table Victoria, marquetry isn't something I have tried yet...I am sure one needs lots of patience to do it.

My husband says my patience is endless :) I work three hours a day just with this table top, it drives him crazy.

Archived