Milling cutters and table saw blades for wood

ElgaKoster

I am looking for either a UK or US supplier for milling cutters similar to this one, I use this 1mm cutter a lot for mortising in wood, I am hoping there might be a cheaper alternative and maybe other sizes available.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28758-128-Inch-Tungsten-Carbide/dp/B0017NMZ52

Something else I need to get are saw blades for my Proxxon table saw, someone has recommended the Thurston saw blades, they have an amazing range of sizes and tpi and I am wondering which are the best for hard woods like mopani.

http://www.thurstonmfg.com/

Jim Byrnes has a few saw blades on his website, until now I have bought one from MicroMark that has 168 teeth with a 0.045 kerf, I see he has one with 70 teeth and a 0.04 kerf, quite a difference in the number of teeth, but that might be better for the hard woods?

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html

Elga, I do not have any mopani, but Jim found what we think is Paduk on a skid that the received at work... (which they trash), so he brought them home for me... he put them through the planer and that stuff is HARD wood.  (That was an interesting sound.)  Jim suggests a Carbide blade.  I googled "what kind of blade for ripping HARD wood", and found different resources for types of blades.  The other issue, in my opinion, is that you may need a more powerful saw.  If I can find the Paduk, I'll see how it cuts on my micromark, and preac, as each saw has a different blade.

I have a carbide blade on my micromark, and a fine finish blade on my preac.

I also need to know about suggested milling cutters... so look forward to responses on this.  I will look at our instructions from our Needlework Stand class... Good thing class had instructions or I would be lost a month later.

Tamra

I have some Paduk, but haven't used it yet. I tend to do only my last final cuts on the table saw, what I like about the slitting blade is the smooth finish that you get.

I guess what I am trying to ask here from anybody that uses them is which amount of teeth do they recommend, there is a bewildering amount of saw blades to choose from or if there is any other kind of blade preferred...the longer I do this the buying options increase as I learn about more suppliers, it was easy to decide what to buy when I only knew about MicroMark!

Elga it depends on what you are cutting and how thick and hard. For rough (ripping) cut off from a larger piece a lesser number of teeth and thicker blade is best.  For finish cuts larger numbers of teeth and thinner blade is best.  For cross cutting, in-between.  The thin blades tend to wander if put under strain in cutting so choose a thicker blade for ripping dense wood. For my Micro-Mark 4" saw I took a medium tooth blade to my saw shop and had them put set in the teeth. This makes ripping easier and does not load the saw motor much. 

Are you ripping larger boards on your bandsaw?  Are you using your bandsaw to re-saw and cut your boards into the thickness of lumber that you want to use?  and then only using your micromark for finer cuts?

The paduk makes a "crackles" sound when we put it in the planer.  I would guess the paduk is 1/4" of an inch right now.  What thickness do you want me to cut on the two micro saws?

Tamra

Yes Tamra, I re-saw on the bandsaw, put the wood through my homemade thickness sander and then cut to the final sizes on my table saw, I seldom cut wood thicker than 1/8" thick on my table saw and most of the time my wood is thinner than 1/8", the only time I cut thicker pieces is when I need legs for turning or cabriole legs, I am careful with my tools as I can't afford for a motor to cease on me.

And please don't worry about cutting your paduk for a test, I do have one of the carbide tipped blades, no need for you to cut your wood, save it for something nice :-)

Archived