Storage space

Bill Hudson

How I gained storage space for  my wires and other long metal stuff. I find these little chests (unassembled) at our local Fred Meyers.  I piggy backed a storage area on the back of one for my long metals supplies.

cabnet1.jpg

cabnet3.jpg

cabnet4.jpg

The drawer units would be perfect for storing silk threads... :).  I have seen the formica units 6 drawer chests at The Christmas Tree Shops and at Michael's here in the US. 

It appears that Bill H's cabinet are wood...  I have not seen this configuration in wood before. 

I have another unit that I use to my left of my work station where I keep pliers in top drawer, files next down and jeweler's hammers third down.  These are al handy at hand level. The next drawers contain all my mini mill cutters, reams and taps and dies.  I plan on taking the leaf off one side and attach cubbies down one side ( kind of like wine rack) for storing smaller lengths and trim offs of wire and tubing too good to toss.

My favorite thing for organizing wood strips, is the clear plastic "sleeves"  that window blinds come in.  They were clear, and rectangular in shape, and very stackable for keeping strips of wood together.. and it is nice to re-purpose without filling the landfills.  You can cut them to your desired length with your band saw, or heavy duty shears.  I don't think I could have cut these with a utility knife; guess it depends on your hand strength and size of hands.    

I've always had a plastics "issue",  I'm always searching for perfect containers for my tools and supplies.  Clear plastic is my preference - but manufactures don't always see "clear" as the inexpensive product to offer for sale.    Bill, I like the wine rack idea too... then you can look for cardboard tubing.  One possibility is use the tubes from gift wrap...or PVC pipe of the correct size for your wine rack, and for the folks who prefer clear tubing, the florescent light bulb tubes at the home improvements store are great, and these do cut easily with a utility knife.  They are $2-$3 each...probably not the right size in comparison to a wine bottle, but it is a nice option.

For smaller objects and organization attempts...

Easter M&Ms had a great little round container that was perfect for carrying sharp tools to mini - making events... and I found similar containers the other night at Joann Fabric Store.  The round tall containers at Joann's did not include the calories for the M&Ms...I haven't decided if it is good or bad to not have the M&Ms. :D.

There are bead containers in round and square for smaller objects, like my favorite pointed tweezers... I found the square ones at my local woodworking stores and they were marketed to pen makers.

Tamra

I used a bunch of (free) triangular Fed-Ex mailing "tubes", which stack together nicely if you don't mind some being inverted.  It's not perfect but at least the price was right. 

Bill,

Those chests look great...we have no such Fred Myers here on the east coast. IKEA used to have a similar thing, but they stopped carrying it.

I have used the leftover ends of PVC pipe from home plumbing projects to make some racks.

Paul

Archived