Follow-up Question from Thread holder at GS 2015

WeekendMiniaturist

Oops, I set my lathe up and found that Pete did include an extra collet adaptor for the ww collets. The original adaptor that came with the collets does not fit on the headstock. The one on the left replaces the one on the right.

post-165-0-73623300-1436227174_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-83487300-1436227190_thumb.jpg

Missy, you mentioned a watchmakers repair DVD... Which one are you referring? Is it from ticktockpro?

(Did I just hijack my thread?)  I think it is ok, because we are talking about knurling.

Part Number 100-03 is the spindle for the Taig lathe. 

I think we used the sherline drawbar and collet, and everything is drawn into the spindle by the adapter - which I think is the item in your picture to the right of the spindle.

If the spindle for the Taig Lathe is changed to accept WW Collets, does it only work with Sherline accessories for turning in the future?

if the spindle is not altered then I am assuming you can continue to use Taig accessories for the spindle, ie chucks mfg by Taig.

While modifications were great for our application; I do think it is important that I would understand what has been altered and if it limits the use of OEM accessories.

Tamra

Bill H, I liked your info about knurling with files... we are talking ordinary life size files?  Wow.  I am amazed... what kind of metal do I need to try this with?  I bought a 1/4" ordinary brass rod ... have to go find some files from husband, assuming that they need to be matched?  But they don't have to be matched to do a test.. :rolleyes:

Tamra

I've been watching the Enco and MSC websites for coupon codes.  Enco USA had 20% off an order of $49 + free shipping last week through 7/2.

Maintenance Monday at MSC indicates 30% off an order of $149... time to buy all those expensive drill bits,,,,  When I called last week, they indicated MSC and Enco were 'related'.  I did not investigate the relationship, just took the Enco tech guy at his word... I called because I couldn't find micro drill bits on the Use Enco website.

Mike, Enco had the Sherline drawbar & collets on their website.  I haven't bought any collets yet... still collecting info.

Tamra

Tamra, the spindle has not been adapted. The piece on the right is the Sherline collet adaptor which does not fit on the Taig. The piece on the left is the collet adaptor that Pete sent. The Sherline adaptor is made to fit inside the spindle, but is too big for the Taig. The adaptor Pete sent screws onto the spindle. The only adaptations I've seen after using it last night are not really adaptations to the lathe itself. There's the replacement for the collet adaptor and there's a spacer to be used with the Sherline chuck which is simply a piece of brass tubing. Elga has stared a new thread on lathes and mentioned that the Taig collets they used in Tune seemed less accurate than the Sherline ww collets.

• 3 years later...

The Taig headstock isn't modified, but the collet closer that goes over the collet is machined on the specific headstock.  Yes, definitely the spacer is required to use the sherline chuck on the taig lathe.  I have a mental note to self, do not lose the spacer.  Actually I should write down the dimensions of the spacer for my 4 jaw chuck just in case I misplace the spacer.

I believe this is a collet holder rather than a thread holder. The adapter is made from a blank produced just for the Taig lathe. It it drilled and tapered to accept the Sherline collet closer.  The Sherline draw bar is also used but it needs to be turned down in diameter to fit through the Taig spindle. The only thing about this that changes the Taig is the Taig spindle adapter.  All of this is removable from the Taig when not in use.  There is no changing of the Taig spindle.  A spacer washer is made to fit over the spindle so that Sherline chucks can be used on the Taig. 

I sold my Taig lathe because I needed the space.  I'm sorry I sold it now. It was a fun lathe. It was nice to have two small lathes for different setups. 

Oh, I guess I never asked for the names of the parts.  I had called it a collet closer, because the adapter snugs the collet into the taig's spindle. And the collet drawbar, holds it to the spindle, or  draws it into the spindle too.  

https://www.sherline.com/product/11601178-ww-collet-set/

We don't use the tapered adapter that is used on the sherline, but this is a smartly engineered solution, removing the close proximity of machining parts with your hands so close to 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks.

I'm glad to get more clarity on this subject as it is my most favorite modification to the taig lathe, and ever so grateful that Pete & Pam Boorum sell their lathes and include this modified accessory!  (www.smallerthanlife.com) - if you don't know the Boorums already, do tell them you heard about them from the Fine Miniatures Forum.

Guild School is one of my most treasured activities, so if you are wondering about the investment; going to guild school was the fastest way for me (without any machining and occupational history) to see different machine set ups and to talk to other students and instructors for the things you want to create.  The Open House and seminars are great way to see different equipment in action.

8 hours ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Oh, I guess I never asked for the names of the parts.  I had called it a collet closer, because the adapter snugs the collet into the taig's spindle. And the collet drawbar, holds it to the spindle, or  draws it into the spindle too.  

https://www.sherline.com/product/11601178-ww-collet-set/

We don't use the tapered adapter that is used on the sherline, but this is a smartly engineered solution, removing the close proximity of machining parts with your hands so close to 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks.

I'm glad to get more clarity on this subject as it is my most favorite modification to the taig lathe, and ever so grateful that Pete & Pam Boorum sell their lathes and include this modified accessory!  (www.smallerthanlife.com) - if you don't know the Boorums already, do tell them you heard about them from the Fine Miniatures Forum.

Guild School is one of my most treasured activities, so if you are wondering about the investment; going to guild school was the fastest way for me (without any machining and occupational history) to see different machine set ups and to talk to other students and instructors for the things you want to create.  The Open House and seminars are great way to see different equipment in action.

I misstated,  The Sherline closer is not used on the Taig, just the drawbar. The adapter is bored out and tapered to fit the WW collet taper. Is has been several years since I had a Taig lathe. Sorry.

Archived