Cyanocrylate Adhesive

WeekendMiniaturist

I went to three stores tonite because my zap a gap was solid, and isn't coming out of my bottle anymore.  My backup is also solid.  So much for shelf life. :(  I know that I glued up three wicker settees last year.

In my three craft stores, Michaels, Joann & Hobby Lobby, no Zap a Gap...  which would be my favorite.

Do you find that all cyanoacrylate adhesives are the same?  I need an adhesive for my class, but I know I'll have to get Zap a Gap for the next piece of wicker that I do.

Any issues with Loctite?  That seemed readily available tonite.

Hobby Lobby has what I think is their own label, didn't recognize the name...

of course I can check the model railroad store, but hope it isn't old stock.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tamra

I have the same experience with cyanoglue, Tamra, although shelf life is longer when I keep the stuff in the fridge ( very much separate from foodstuff, that is ! )

To try and be able to reopen bottles of any glue, when opening any bottlefor the first time, I first clean the ridges and then coat them with petrol jelly, which at least has the advantage of keeping the stuff accessible to me.

Not all cyano is alike , there are more gel-like ( like zap-a- gap) and fluid cyanos.

Of course, not being in USA, I cannot reflect on loctite, never having seen the stuff around here. Sorry not to be more helpful :-(

Cheers,

Elly

Thanks Elly,

I frequently re-seal my glue bottles and tubes of filler (for life size jobs, ie when I am stipping furniture for re-upholstering) by putting white glue over the opening and letting it dry, but unfortunately I didn't do that with the zap a gap.

Fridge...?  Ok I'll do that with the next bottle that I purchase.  I didn't have any problems in the past, and my backup was never used.    Will call around today to see what is available locally...Guess I'll put a date on the bottle this time, so I know, at least when I opened it.

Tamra

I love the Loctite because of the bottle. This is what I use:   post-51-0-97461800-1433470083_thumb.jpg

This blue bottle is gel. The red bottle is thin. The ribs squeeze out perfect each time and for the first time ever I have been able to use entire bottles. No brick after a couple weeks. I also use the accelerator, gives a quicker better bond. Any brand accelerator---

You actually get Loctite in South Africa and I have used it with great success, love the bottle too :-)

Did you know that if you sprinkle baking soda on cyno glues it hardens up and makes a good filler in wood or plastic? Say you have a crack in a piece of wood you are going to paint; fill the crack with the glue and then force soda in the crack,  Let dry and repeat until it is built up.  Then sand it flush and paint.

Bill this is a great tip, using baking soda and cyno glue.  I wonder if I used cyno glue with saw dust from the project if I could use this as a filler too.

Thank you Linda and Elga for the loc-tite review!

Tamra

The soda soaks up the glue causing it to harden and become like plastic.  Soda can also be used as an accelerator if you are going to sand it later. I have not had much luck using sawdust.  Sawdust is best mixed with carpenter's glue or the likes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Gorilla Glue brand of cyano better than Locktite. It works great on plastic and on metal as well as wood. Very shock resistant which is why I use it on hinges as they do tend to move a little when the doors in buildings swing open. The Locktite failed me on the hinge job but the Gorilla brand has held up. These modern types that claim shock resistance have a small amount of rubber in the formula and that is what creates the shock resistance. But they are thick compared to the original water thin types. That thick viscosity makes them good for gap filling but not so much for tiny crack filling.

Personal testament to strength of the Gorilla Glue brand of cyano. I had to create  replacement weep hole covers out of thin aluminum sheet to put on exterior, black anodized, aluminum window frames on my motorhome. It is just the thin edges of the bent formed metal covers against the window frame. I did that 3 years ago and it is still holding strong in all kinds of temperature changes, direct summer sun, rain, snow and wind as well as a hand held car washing brush going over it.  Nothing else was used as a fastener except the glue. When they say fortified and shock resistant and works on metal they really mean it :)

Archived