Guild Study Program at Strawbery Banke, Portsmouth, NH.

Moderator1

Guild Study Program at Strawbery Banke, Portsmouth, New Hampshire

September 19 –22, 2014

For complete details see http://www.igma.org/education/study_programs/2014_portsmouth/index.html

Portsmouth, NH is a city of roughly 21,000 people near the mouth of the Piscataqua River, which divides New Hampshire and Maine. Portsmouth was settled in 1623 and served as a focal point on the Eastern seaboard until the late 1800s when rail travel largely replaced the shipping industry. John Paul Jones’ ship, The Ranger, was built in Portsmouth, and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (which lies across the river in Maine) was established in 1800 as the country’s first Naval shipyard.

In 2008, the National Trust for Historic Preservation named Portsmouth to its list of America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations, calling the city “one of the most culturally rich destinations in the country, with a stimulating mix of historic buildings, sidewalk cafes, great restaurants, art galleries, jazz clubs and distinctive artisans’ boutiques.” In 2009, Forbes Traveler listed Portsmouth as one of America’s Prettiest Towns.

Strawbery Banke (yes, that is how both words are spelled) is a 10-acre outdoor historic waterfront museum featuring homes and exhibits from three centuries. It consists of 38 historic homes and buildings, elegant mansions as well as working-class homes. It is a waterfront neighborhood that includes shops and taverns that welcomed George Washington and Paul Revere. It also has gardens showcasing period designs, rare flowers and heirloom vegetables.

Named by early (1630) British settlers for the wild berries growing there, Strawbery Banke traces 375 years of history in one of America’s oldest continuously occupied neighborhoods. Through its authentically restored houses and shops, period gardens, and costumed role players, it presents the daily lives of ordinary people who lived here from Colonial times to World War II, from the mundane to the elegant, from economic boom to war-time austerity. Strawbery Banke Museum is a capsule of New England seaport life across four centuries.

Class projects are based on pieces at Strawbery Banke or that are indigenous to the Portsmouth area.

Special Tour: The Warner House is a large brick house, built ca. 1716 by Archibald Macphaedris, an Irish ship owner and merchant, and is said to be the first urban mansion made of brick in New England. It is probably one of the finest examples of such early architecture. It is now known as the Warner House on account of the 1760 marriage of the daughter of Archibald Macphaedris to Jonathan Warner. The interior of the house contains outstanding murals, painted finishes, period furniture, and portraits of Warner family members, including an exceptional painting of Warner’s daughter, Polly, painted by Joseph Blackburn. Furnishings in the house have been donated by descendants of Archibald Macphaedris or are of a type described in family inventories and made by local makers and of regional significance.

The Program will begin at approximately 2:00 PM Friday with tours of the Warner House and Strawbery Banke, followed by a reception and dinner at Mombo (www. momborestaurant.com), an acclaimed restaurant on the Strawbery Banke campus. Classes will be held at Strawbery Banke Saturday, Sunday and half-day Monday.

The final event of the program will be the graduation luncheon around 1:00 PM Monday September 22.

We also understand there has been added a tour of a John Henry Bellamy exhibition at a museum!

CLASSES sm_backe_basketopen.jpg sm_Boorums.jpg sm_mackie.jpg sm_robertson.jpg Travel Teapot Basket

1/12 Scale

Bonni Backe

IGMA FELLOW Candlestand

1/12 Scale

Pam and Pete Boorum

IGMA ARTISANS Leather Shot Bag 

and Powder Horn

1/12 Scale

Deb Mackie

IGMA ARTISAN

Carving a Bellamy Eagle

1/12 Scale 

Bill Robertson

IGMA ARTISAN

Here is a close up of my finished prototype for the class….. carved from Swiss pear wood….. also notice the amount of depth Bellamy was able to active with his designs.

DSCN1091_zpscca9bed2.jpg

ba553ab4-49b5-4225-be7d-f3402db618f5_zps

Oh my, I walked right past this place last year after guild school, my hostess had her children with her and decided not to go in, guess I will have to make a plan next time to see this! The classes all look great!

• 1 month later...

This sounds like a wonderful study program.  Bonnie'e or Bill's class sounds great. It would be a toss up for me. Would like to go early and explore.  Sadly it is out or my financial ability.

However if you can swing it a study program is awesome and a quick way to learn something new. I encourage anyone to attend if possible.

Now would be a good time to sign up.... Just talked to Peter K. who administers this program and there is room in each class.

I am hoping for Bill's class and going to the local exhibit beforehand to learn about Bellamy eagles. Portsmouth, nh is a great place to visit in the fall - come one and all!!!!!

Have pondered a little on how to make the perfect balls on the bottom of the three legs on the candle stand.  Won't actually start working on it until after the NAME National in St. Louis in July.  Might try a profile tool.  It will be hard to get the shape with a duplicator unless I can figure out how to index a left and right hand cutting tool.    Perhaps a turret tool post for the duplicator.  VBG Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

No one's said anything about GSP lately, so I'm just putting in a reminder.  There are still openings available, so think about coming up to NH in Sept.  I for one am really looking forward to autumn in New England.  Strawbery Banke looks like a fantastic place to visit!

• 4 weeks later...

Just another reminder to sign up if you are thinking about it........ I think the cut off will be sometime after the Guild Show next week.

Have pondered a little on how to make the perfect balls on the bottom of the three legs on the candle stand.  Won't actually start working on it until after the NAME National in St. Louis in July.  Might try a profile tool.  It will be hard to get the shape with a duplicator unless I can figure out how to index a left and right hand cutting tool.    Perhaps a turret tool post for the duplicator.  VBG Any suggestions?

Have you thougt about using a ball turning tool?

Just another reminder to sign up if you are thinking about it........ I think the cut off will be sometime after the Guild Show next week.

I think Bonni's class is full but there is room in the others........

For those going to the Guild Show the prototypes are on display there.....

Archived