Fishing paraphanalia

Basketcaseminiatures

They are all beautiful Lidi. I have never thought about how much trouble you might have achieving a particular shape/design. I am sure some of them pose some real problems to solve.

Both extraordinary/unusual subject to model and great craftsmanship!   I'm impressed!   What time period were the traps used during?  

Lidi, Over the past couple of years I've been working on bar harbor types of wicker furniture and have learned that leaving all that open space in a wicker design has brought me to a new level of (sometimes) frustration in weaving.  Your baskets are wonderful and show a great level of skill.  Tamra

I will start by saying thank you so much for all your kind comments.

The Norfolk eel trap was apparently in use in the 1790's, although my miniature would be a slightly more modern version of basically the same thing.

The fish traps are in use today - more so in Asia.  They are used in shallow waters, such as paddy fields.

The lobster pots are copies of the traditional ones made in the UK.  I got my information from one Nigel Legge who hails from southern Cornwall.  He still makes his traditional lobster pots today (full size of course) and he was most helpful when I paid him a visit.

I like to keep my works authentic and use traditional basketry techniques on all my miniatures - so no gluing on of borders, or such like. I have been practising the art now for about 10 years, and I am still learning!!

Thank you all for your interest!

Archived