Decorating the shop wall with Antique Calipers

Member1

Well after doing a bunch of remodeling in the shop last month I had a spare wall that was a little too plain….. that is something that doesn't last long around here. Anyway I decided to hang up some calipers……. in this case about a 100 of them, from less than 2" to over 24" and from the late 1600's to the early 20th century. A few of these have been featured on the Practical Machinist in past years. These range from a huge early rack wing divider to many of the early patents by Fay, Stevens, Starrett and others……… it was a lot of fun to do because it gave me reason to play with each one of them. Some I had not held in years. I think I will enjoy these a lot more than I did when they were just stuffed in a tray type tool chest in the corner of a upstairs room.

So this is what you can do when you have a lot of something…….. BTW, I have a similar set-up of hack saws over the bench I do vise work on. Do any of you guys decorate with tools?

DSCN1302_zpsb4c93f2a.jpg

DSCN1303_zps826e7011.jpg

DSCN1305_zps8dd26f56.jpg

The way they had been stored…. it will still be pretty full….

DSCN4831_zps25e309cf.jpg

Great display.  Can I borrow caliper #83 please?  :rolleyes:  And when is the class to make some of these in 1/12th scale?  Did I miss that class too?

My husband also has various saws on his walls in his shop;  OMG,there are more of them in the drawers?!!!  Sweet collection !

Fantastic collection! Does kitchen tools count? I have some vintage ones displayed with some porcelain Italian jelly molds on my one kitchen wall.

The mind reels.....What a gorgeous awesome collection! Can I come and see in person? PLEEEASE??? The size range and year span oh wow! And no I don't decorate with tools because I don't have enough of anything interesting or old enough, but it is food for thought. In the mean time, what time should I be there?  :D

Linda

Archived