Unknown attachment on a Taig Milling attachment

Gary

I recently bought this Taig II microlathe from a CAMP member who got it in a Bill Robertson class a number of years ago.  There is some kind of indexing device mounted on the milling attachment that I am unsure on the use of.  I am not sure if it is complete or not.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary Graves

post-379-0-86031000-1416593154_thumb.jpg

An indexing attachment is exactly what that is. I made those years ago and I think I made about 25 of them. It is complete. The way it works is you turn a 1/4" (I think) stub on your work, this you hold in place with the set screw in the larger steel part. It is very important that that be a tight and snug fit. Then tighten the two black Allen head screws which hold that part firmly to the mill table..... Take a cut with a milling cutter held in the lathe spindle. Then loosen just a little those two black screws so that the steel disc moves, BTW, there is another screw and brass bushing at the bottom of that 1/4" hole, this screw should be tight... It keeps the index disk from sliding up and down in the tee slot. Anyway, loosen brass knob and turn to the next hole.... And screw in brass knob, but not too tight. As I recall there were 24 holes, this would allow for divisions of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 & 24.

It is a pretty simple little thing and very solid. I made a couple of different styles on indexers over the years....... What other stuff did you get with that lathe? I sold a lot of these back then and never really kept track of who had which accessories, many of which I only made for a particular class...... I do not sell these sorts of things anymore unless it is needed for a class.

Yes it is an indexing attachment designed by and built by Bill Robertson for one of his classes. I had one for my Taig and used it quit often for other things. Sadly I could not adapt it to my Sherline.

Bill,

Thanks! I sort of figured that was how it was used. I can see it fluting a candlestick or similar. What came with the lathe, let's see...

I got the basic lathe with the headstock, carriage with cross slide and tool holder, a drilling tailstock with dead center, threaded for the included Jacobs chuck with a double ended centering drill bit, the milling attachment with your indexing jig attached, the stock milling mount blocks, a tiny die (not sure size right now), four 1/8" cutting tools, one is angled for left hand cut, a cutoff cutter, one square cutter that has a notched edge, and all 4 have plain other ends that can be customized. There was a chrome plated thing that has been identified as a Crocker graver sharpening jig (now for some gravers!). It came with the white mounting board that has a motor, switch, and capacitor. It also has a tool rest for hand turning that apparently mounts onto the bed using one of the threaded holes in the bed. That will be a handy thing to have, I just wish it was swing awayable like the ones on my WW lathes.

OH... I also got a 4 jaw self centering chuck, and an 8mm WW drawbar and some collets.

Basically it was a turn key system once I got it put back together. The knob was broken off of the cross slide dial, but I replaced the whole screw/dial assembly via Nick Carter. They did not send a new bushing block and there is a fair amount of backlash in the screw, but it is manageable.

I have ordered a couple more tool posts to be able to swap out easier, a 1/4" HSS cutter set, and a T Bar cut off tool.

Next on the dream sheet is a steady rest that will get ball bearings attached, and a top slide.

Onward to chipdom!

Gary

Yes, I'm green with envy too!   :)  (Visions of lathes dancing in my head, oh yes, and a panel saw.  And what the heck, a CNC router with the table the that accommodates a 4x8 or 5x5 sheet of plywood!)

Snugging that brass insert up really made a difference.  I am going to turn one with a little tighter tolerance to take out the slight lateral play that exists in it,  That should keep the centerline centered when rotating, As it is now the screw stop will shift the centerline back a bit when tightened, though I might be tightening it too much.    I also put one of the regular mount blocks beneath the indexer to keep it on the same horizontal plane when the mounts are loosened.  It is late and I will look at that more tomorrow when my eyes are not so fuzzy and make sure it is actually doing what I intended.

The cutter with the notch in the face leaves a nice quarter round end on 1/8" round stock when turning a 0.052 or so  threadable shaft for 0=80 die....   very cool.

gg

Archived