Tilt top table latch

ElgaKoster

Bill's latches post inspired me to finally start making a latch for a tilt top table that I made more than two years ago. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have it done, here is how it looks so far.

post-6-0-37075900-1416070478_thumb.jpg

Simply WOW!!!........ It is one thing to able to make wonderfully small things, it is another to be motivated to do it. When we work alone as we all do, we have to find something to motivate us, ..... Remember Newton's law of motion," an object at rest will stay at rest until acted upon".........And that is where this forum can help... A planet wide inspirational group of people helping each other. Years ago I was talking to Brooke Tucker and we were both in a motivational slump, we termed it being in a "easily distractible state".

Now Elga.... Just how small is this? And how did you mill out the hollow cavity on the underside?.... Have a picture of that?

Thank you Bill :-)

It is probably a bit bigger than true 1/12 scale, it's length excluding the screw hole tab is 0.3750" and the diameter over the widest part is 0.1950".

I have debated with myself over whether I wanted to mill it out or not, my table top is rather thin and I need as much gluing surface as I can get, so for now it has a hole drilled in it lengthwise for a brass rod with a tiny spring at the end. Tomorrow when I turn the knob I will find out if this will work or if plan B will have to kick in, we will see.

post-6-0-05253400-1416075782_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-66972700-1416075804_thumb.jpg

Elga, Oh, that is one sweet latch.  Well done!  I have a real life pie crust table, but I don't have a tilt top; have to go to my Mother in Law's house to see if she has one that I could study.

Tamra

That looks beautiful Elga!   A very elegant shape.  I'm not sure I understand how it works, so I'm awaiting your future posts for my 'aha' moment.  I am intrigued by the little spring on the end of the rod.  Is it all one piece (and if so how on earth did you make that?) or is it soldered on the rod?  I can't tell from looking at the photo.  

Thank you Josje, the spring comes from inside a watch spring bar and just fits tightly onto the rod, no soldering needed because I can't even pull it off with my hands.

Well plan A did work, now I need to do a lot of polishing and cut the latch to the right length. I did buy one of those cheap tap and die sets in New York two years ago, the one where the dies are all set into a coffin shape, I used the smallest tap and die 0.7mm, I am happy that it all worked out.

post-6-0-97099000-1416154642_thumb.jpg

Aha!  Now I get it.   ;)  Lovely little working action (I imagine).  It always makes me smile that we all love working miniatures even though in reality they just sit stationary in the dolls house.  

Yes Missy, I am almost done with it, not quite happy yet with the finish, needs a bit more polishing. But it was fun to make :-)

post-6-0-65928800-1416391830_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-85045900-1416391855_thumb.jpg

That looks great!

What is the dia. of the brass rod for the sliding bolt part? Looks about 1 mm with a 0.7 mm threaded hole in it..... Or is it a hair larger?

Great close up pictures too..... Thanks for sharing this.

Thank you Bill, all the classes I took with you is paying off :-), worth every sent I spend in getting to Castine and Tune, the rod is 1.2mm with a 0.7mm hole.

Archived