A beginners piece of petit point

ElgaKoster

When Bill Robertson mentioned his mom using an embroidery design out of a vintage Burda magazine yesterday, I remembered one of the very first pieces I stitched when I discovered silk gauze. For this piece I combined two charts out of one of my Burda magazines, I think this is on 40 count, I can't remember anymore, back then working out the size of the finished item as a newbie was something I struggled with and this piece came out bigger than I intended, and so I never could decide what to do with it. And I do like it, beginners mistakes and all, when I took it out again this morning and had a good look at it, an idea hit me, I think it would look great on the headboard of a French bed of the rococo era, it is just the right size and has the feel of that time period...now to find spare time to make a bed......

post-6-0-07019900-1398336114_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of using this as a headboard! Yes, you've come a long way since, but this is still a very nice piece and has sentimental value as well. I hope you do find the time, and look forward to seeing it here.

I agree, for one of your first pieces it's perfect. I would give a limb to be ably to make something like this. Great you still got it, i find it useful to hang on to older projects. They can be a wonderful reminder and indicator of how far we have traveled in our goals to be(come) better. I love it you're going to incorporate it in a new project. Seems very appropriate 

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive!  I've tried petit point but didn't have the patience for it.  The truth is, I am a one trick pony--knitting is about the only thing I seem to have limitless patience for. 

• 3 weeks later...

Althea, If one is going to be a one trick pony you have blazed the trail for superlative….!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are working on now.  Speaking as a representative of the Jack-of-all-Trades camp, there is great clarity in being focused on a single medium of which I am very envious. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived