Yet Another Metal-Working Tool Already

Guy Gadois

Pursuant to Mr. Robertson's request, attached is a photo of a miniature English Wheel. For those of you who are not familiar with this device, it is used for forming simple or compound curves in metal. The material is pushed back and forth between two anvils to shape the metal. I have a full size wheel but I needed a smaller one so I am building this one. Overall height is just under 7 inches. I may turn more anvils of different radii and maybe not.

This project kept me out of the pool hall (dang).

Cheers, Gadois

post-225-0-76232800-1416010230_thumb.jpg

So what does the wheel at the top do? I wish we all had Go-Pro camera's so we could video record these tools in action.

Tamra

Tamra,

The top anvil (roller) is flat across the surface and is there to apply pressure to the bottom anvil which has a radius across the face. The lower anvils have different radii depending on how much curve is desired.

Attached photo shows a typical operation.

Cheers, Gadois

post-225-0-80988700-1415856264_thumb.jpg

Guy has stepped up to the challenge with a tool! Excellent !...... Can't wait to see what he makes with it.., I have always been a fan of Gerald Wingrove (see links to his site in the bottom section of the forum) and got to even hold Lou Chenot's 1/6 scale Dussenburg!

So glad you are here and posting...... Thank you

ummmm the fly wheel that is on top, must move upper wheel down to adjust for the thickness of the metal.  So what do we make with the metal?

Tamra

Archived