Introducing myself

Kgstakes

Hi everyone

i first started building miniatures back in high school and it was building a model railroad.  Then as my skills progressed I built a chuckwagon in 1/12 th scale.  From there many scale buildings and other wagons.

It wasn’t until I bought a book on miniature furniture that I started building miniature furniture in 1/12 scale.

My latest project a Buddy of mine challenged me to build a roll to desk. Well being my profession is woodworking,  I decided to bully the desk in 1/4 scale and do all the jointery as a full-size one wold be if I built a full-size desk.

Been building a 1/8 th scale stage coach of and on for many years.  That’s my most current project.

Long winded here so I’ll stop.  Happy to find this forum/website to learn more about miniature furniture and miniatures in general.

Welcome!   It sounds like you've been doing some fascinating projects.  We love to see pictures of anything you'd like to share!

People come to miniatures from all different backgrounds.   It's interesting to follow the work of people who come in via "real life scale" woodworking because they tend to have a robust set of techniques on which to draw.   Looking forward to seeing your work and learning new things from you!

Welcome KGStakes to the Fine Miniatures Forum.... I saw your post on the roll top desk; it is beautiful accomplishment.

Funny, you are a life size woodworker, For the past 5 years (skipping 2020) I attended a class each year at Marc Adams School of Woodworking to augment my miniature skills.

I hope you continue your journey in fine model making....

As much as I enjoy working in my “full size shop” I’ve been collecting or should say buying “ small power tools to do miniature work as well as cut out small buildings for my railroad (that’s how I got interested in miniatures).  I built my “Dream cabin/house in HO scale (1:87) a log house out of 1/8th dowel stock and notched every log at the corners.  Since that time (some 40 yrs ago) I’ve been building all kinds of miniatures.  From buildings, horse drawn wagons, furniture, mostly in either HO scale for buildings and 1/12th scale for the horse drawn vehicles and furniture.

I built the roll top desk in 1/4 scale because I figured I could do a better job doing all the mortise and tenons. Also, I’ve seen pictures and a video about furniture “samples” they use to use for the people that would go around and show the communities back in the horse and buggy days.

I like building in that size but also know that people do collect 1/12 th scale furniture and not so much the bigger scale because of the size and probably the popularity of 1/12th scale and the dollhouse’s the furniture fits in.

i enjoy the hobby (like to sell but I probably price myself out of the market).  And I like to challenge myself to try to do something I haven’t done before.

Depending on your location in the world,  You might be pleasantly surprised at the market for Artisan Miniatures... just attend a major show and you can see the furniture and the prices.