Strawbery Banke Backe basket class

Lee-Ann Chellis Wessel

I really enjoyed taking Bonni Backe's class at the recent Study Program at Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH. Our class project was a 19th century Chinese basket which was lined with insulation to carry a teapot full of hot tea.

SBprojects_zps814742f9.jpg

This is the basket with teapot that is in collections at Strawbery Banke.  The tilt top stand on which they sit was the class project for Pete and Pam Boorum's class.

backebasket2_zps10f9093b.jpg

Success ! This is the basket I made under Bonni's direction . I made the 7/16" tall teapots for the class so of course needed to join the class and learn how to make a basket for my teapot.

backebasketcool1_zpsbeb6a4b4.jpg

This shows the silk covered insulated lining of the basket's interior with the teapot nested inside.

I really enjoy these collaborative pieces offered at the Guild.  Oh, I when I see the results of our Guild classes, I wish I could just travel and mini to my hearts content.  It is a beautiful basket, and a beautiful tea pot, and both are close to my heart!

Tamra/Indiana

Here's a look over Lee-Ann's shoulder during class. The paper cups are a means of keeping their waxed linen bobbins from rolling off the table. These students were among the best ever - the perfect ratio of paying attention to having fun!

SBGSPlee-ann_zpsbd9ab580.jpg

Archived