Mopani

Elizabeth Gazmuri

This is part 2 of my post.

A previous topic on the forum was: what was your favorite wood to work with? Mopani came up several times. Is there a source here in the U.S.? I  did find it as 2"x2"x24" tuning blanks, so I ordered it. I do a lot of furniture pieces that were originally made in mahogany and should know this wood. It came covered in wax. My husband, a full scale wood turner, tells me this is not unusual at all for tuning blanks to prevent cracking. Why he didn't read my mind and see through walls as I ordered the stuff online is beyond me, but the question to the forum is how much of the wood do I need to discard so the wax won't affect my finish. Do I just need to test it as I cut off the wax ? Anyone know how deep wax penetrates?

Elizabeth I just scrape the wax off, it doesn't penetrate deeply at all, by the time I have finished cutting the wood into the pieces I need for my project there normally is no trace of any wax.

As you slice it into dimensional lumber, I think you can test your boards with a little lacquer or stain to see if it is affecting your finish.  It is only going to be on your edges.

Wax can be scraped off or burned off with a torch.   I haven't had it cause any problems with finish or with edge to edge glue-ups.  By the time you finish sanding, it's all gone.

Archived