baskets

Christiane LOURIER

Bonni : what are the best fiber for weaving baskets ? I tried with colcotton 34, but wonder if it is not too soft

Thank you

It depends on what type of basket you have in mind, Chrisminiatures. For wicker baskets, most people use 2 or 3-ply waxed linen for the weavers, and fiber-wrapped wires for the uprights, which can be inserted into a wood bottom, or not, depending on the style of wicker. For splint baskets, (like my pack basket) I use black ash splint, which is quite pliable when wet, and comes in widths as narrow as 1/64". You could possibly make crocheted baskets out of the colcotton, but you're right, it's quite soft. 

Hello Chris, I love waxed irish linen thread for wicker, and I have recently purchased some Japanese paper covered wire for my spokes to go to a finer weave that I purchased at the Chicago International show, I'm thinking trying to use button strength cotton thread.  Thinking, but I haven't tried it yet.  The Japanese paper covered wire is sold primarily for flowers at the mini shows in the US.  I also purchased some silk covered wire for spokes from Templewood Miniatures in the UK .  I have never made a real, proper basket of wood, but it is on my list.  Generally, I use 2 & 3 ply, but I have also used 4 ply on wicker furniture for color accents on a few rows... more colors available in 4 ply.

www.royalwoodltd.com is my favorite supplier here in the US.  I think it is imported from Ireland though.

I like waxed threads, because it just kinda grabs and is stable.  I recently tried some fine hemp that I found at the fabric store in the bead area and I took it all out, and returned to wax linen.  Oh I hope this is not a terrible description, but the hemp was springy, the wax linen thread stays put, and since I was trying to weave a bar harbor piece, and I had all this open space above the chaise base, I was having difficulty keeping the hemp in the proper place.... but it is a most wonderful neutral color, so I'm not giving up on my fine hemp. 

Tamra/Indiana

Tamra, I wonder if you could run the hemp on a piece of beeswax? That may give it enough stability.

I know that when I do beading I sometimes use  something called 'Thread Heaven', a little blue cube of wax, that

helps thread keep from fraying. I think beeswax might be what you need.

Sue

Thanks Sue, I will try beeswax and / or Thread Heaven.  I have seen both in the stores..

Tamra/Indiana

• 2 weeks later...

yes, pretty much any thread can be waxed and used like waxed linen crawford threads.  However, I caution you may not get the same consistancy throughout etc.

Brandaen

Archived