Fine Timber suppliers

Warren Barnard

Found this interesting supplier for fine timbers in sheet from 1/16th to 3/4inch and block. They seem to have an interesting range of timbers and that they do everything in a good range of sizes. I will be placing an order in a few weeks and will let you know how I find them. They ship internationally at cost. I have no association with this company.

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

Ocooch Hardwoods catalog2014.pdf

My favorite wood supplier in the US is Gilmer Woods in Portland, Oregon. One neat thing about their web site is they each board they have, you pick and buy the one you want. I like to buy big pieces and cut then down to tiny myself, actually I really don't like to this but it is the only way to get the grain just they I want it.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/

Another place I was in years ago so I have no idea if they are still there was J. George's , it was just outside the peripherique on the East side of Paris. They had some of the most fantastic wood I have ever seen.

Gilmer's is a fun place to go for wood.Lots of great stuff  with lots of shelves and carneys with wood blanks in them and if you look closely you may find exactly what your are looking for.  Years ago I bought a whole slab of dried pear wood; 8' long, 18"wide and 3" thick. I am now down to an 18 inch long piece. Getting time to make a Gilmer run.

Well, I am lucky enough to have these two timber merchants within 30 minutes drive from my home, in opposite directions though, I love country woods especially because they often have beautiful pieces of rare woods with nice fine grains for miniature use, and I see now on their home page they have a sister company in the US selling exoctic timbers.

http://www.timbermerchant.co.za/

http://www.countrywoods.co.za/

Bill, you gave me a good laugh about cutting your own wood, can't say I like it either, but the end results are worth the trouble.

Oh, I want to take a road trip to Portland, OR and go wood shopping with Bill!  Oh, I need to go wood shopping and get some steamed pear!  I wonder if SHGoode & Sons has any in their inventory...I think I have a piece of Holly, that I purchased from them before.

Tamra/Indiana

• 2 weeks later...

Gilmer's requires a $100 minimum... so this is going to take some time to pick out some wood... my local shop wood shop had no pear... and only 1 dented can of Behlen's lacquer thinner. (Johnson's workbench.)  But they are having a sale in at the end of the month, so I may go in and see what's happening...

Tamra/Indiana

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tamra, this past year I've successfully redirected a few people to a Dutch merchant near my place;

The Arnhemse fijnhouthandel 

http://www.af.nl

They were all on the lookout for steamed pear and because it grows very well here in the Alps it's relatively cheap. Requests seemed to be well received by the merchant (no trouble with English either). And even with overseas  P&P it seems most were contend with the deal. 

Hope it's of use to you? Good luck!

Debora

Debora, thank you for the link of a supplier.  I feel a wood shopping spree coming on... I'm clapping like a happy seal !!! 

Tamra/Indiana

• 4 weeks later...

One fun thing about timber...... In my big shop cleaning I have been digging out all those choice pieces of wood that have been hidden in the corners for years..... I often would write on the board what it is, where & when I bought it and how much I paid for it....... It is really neat to see that information 30 years later..... And I thought some of those choice pieces were expensive back then and now they seem so cheap!

Anyway I have created a new space in one of the storage areas to store this all together.......

• 3 months later...

I just bought some wood from a sort unusual source...... eBay!...... Who would have thought about buying rare woods there? They have good photos of each board you buy, they are small piece so no need for a truck to get it home, easy shipping. I was very impressed by this dealer, David Pickle down in South Carolina...... If the link doesn't work his eBay name is "1971david"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=251551635613&_ssn=1971david&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

I believe I bought my Pear on ebay a few years back. I hope I don't get too much snow, I want to go to Woodcraft, they have African Blackwood on sale.

WOW I had no idea about The Lumberyard, they are in Brecksville OH just up the road from my mom. I sure wish I had this link a few days ago, I was just up in Cleveland and would have gone, what fun it would have been....oh well, next time for sure! A million thank you's for this information. Looks like an awesome place. I had no idea.....

I bought some wood from the Lumberyard a number of years ago and it was superb BUT it took a long time from order till it was shipped.   Back them it was much more of a home grown part time business with paper catalog.   Now I think it may be a lot more professional and better.   I doubt they have a storefront per se'.    If you don't see what you want it would be worth asking.

Woodcraft has some nice wood from time to time but they are usually expensive and I find supply and quality variable.   I used to like WC but they seem to have taken the corporate style worse than ever now.  They stopped carrying some of my favorite brands of tools.

Fine Woodworking is a great source of adverts and if you know precisely what you want between FWW and the web you are sure to find it.

• 7 months later...

Okay, I have just discovered that my favorite wood supplier in Cape Town has opened up a shop in Maine about an two hour drive from Castine according to Google maps, it might be worth the side trip when any of you go to Guild School again.

http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/

Can any of you recommend a wood that I could use to suggest old cypress for a floor?

Martha in Louisiana

Use cypress, fine grain. Or use cedar fine grain.

• 4 months later...

I used old growth, Sitka spruce for a well aged floor in a rustic structure. I got the lumber as guitar top seconds from a specialty Tonewoods sawmill. There are so many growth rings per inch that it makes perfect inscale vertical grain cypress heartwood. But as the color is fairly light you would have to stain it as I did in the photo below. Heart wood western red cedar is naturally a darker color. If you go to Home Depot and look at the real cedar deck rail spindles that are premium quality 2 x 2 you might find some with a lot of growth rings per inch. I use that as a source for a lot of my miniature lumber. No waste to it as it is knot free and you can pick through the pile for the perfect pieces.

If you want the secret of getting a permanent, ground in dirty and dusty looking old floor like this just rub in some rottenstone before the oil based stain is completely dry. Rottenstone is a good, "clean", in-scale dirt for this type of thing. You can purchase it at many local hardware stores in small cartons.

floorsitkapruce.jpg

Archived