Challenge: Need Designing Tool Genius to re-engineer a register caliper to measure wood turning wall

WeekendMiniaturist

Referencing a previous post where Bill H was asking if anyone was out here in miniature world.... topic was "testing".... I asked how to measure the wall of a miniature turning.

Here is the tool that Meezer Mama had indicated works, but it is of course no longer available, even when this response was posted and we are about 2 years later and I still have not figured this out.   I don't have a light small enough to get inside of my vase turning.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/marking-and-measuring/calipers/72597-lee-valley-register-caliper?item=50N0203

Here is a page from a print catalog from 1897 of Register calipers... looks very familiar eh?

However, what I really need is to re-design the Moe Diamond Weight Guage, it is " springy "  (I know bad description), but if I redesigned the end I could and it could go inside of the turning I could measure the thickness of a miniature turning!!!

So, what do you think?

Register Caliper 1897 catalog pg.jpg

I have a pair just like this, but made in Chicago USA, and the jaws definitely will not fit in my turning.

Moe Diamond Weight Guage.jpg

I've attached a photo of the Lee Valley Register Calipers.  I think these are too large to get inside of a miniature wood turning.

LV Register Caliper Discontinued .jpg

You're right.  I own these calipers and they are too large to get inside unless it's something continually expanding, like a bowl.   The other issue is precision.   At the thickness we want to turn miniatures, the gauge on these is too rough to get a good reading.  I guess you could clamp it down on a feeler gauge and then keep turning until it slides over your item, but again only if it's "open faced".

If you find someone with the Moe Diamond Weight gauge, it has a really nice feel to it.  I think I will put it on my copier tomorrow and try to redraw it.  The problem with reducing the two tips, is that I think it makes the opposite measuring side much wider, so I think it needs to be a scissor..., with equal jaws so you can mirror the measurement with the part you can see.

This tool seems reasonably sensitive and it has a nice feel to it with the spring.  I think I will buy another pair and take them apart to see how the spring part is made.

• 2 months later...

Getting closer.  

image.png

I think this design works, the opposite end would allow you to visually see the turning wall, but I think the bent points  should be opposite pointing in.  I think this one is easy enough to machine in brass.

image.png