Sherline blank collet, how to cut three slots?

ElgaKoster

I need a 1/8" collet to finish my Tune class project, I have the Sherline metric collet set, it has a blank collet to make into any size you want. Drilling the hole isn't a problem, but I am not sure how to cut three equally spaced slots into it, anyone have any ideas, bearing in mind that I don't have a mill.

I need a 1/8" collet to finish my Tune class project, I have the Sherline metric collet set, it has a blank collet to make into any size you want. Drilling the hole isn't a problem, but I am not sure how to cut three equally spaced slots into it, anyone have any ideas, bearing in mind that I don't have a mill.

I think in this case you could cut four slots with your jeweler's saw. The extra slot means you would have to tighten up the drawbar tighter.

Thank you Bill, that worked a treat, the four slots turned out smaller because of the narrowness of the jewelers saw blade than the three slots on the factory made collets, it is working great.

Thank you Bill, that worked a treat, the four slots turned out smaller because of the narrowness of the jewelers saw blade than the three slots on the factory made collets, it is working great.

:D  :D  :D Happy, happy, happy.

Archived