Hi Everyone!

I just recently joined IGMA  (this morning, in fact) and am eager to meet and become part of a larger miniatures audience.  This past June, I was privileged to have won a scholarship to the Guild School and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I took Deb Mackie's saddlebags class because while I could already make English and Western saddles, I did not know how to tool leather so it was just the perfect class for me.  I also took Ann High's enclosed armchair class where I learned how to carve wood.  Are you sensing a theme here?  I didn't realise I'd done that until afterwards.  It was a tough choice picking my classes as I would also love to take Jon Almeda's raku class.  It'll have to wait till I can scrounge enough money to return to Guild School.

Living in Nova Scotia, there is a vibrant miniature community here, although we have no retail stores at all in the entire province.  We have to rely on Camp Mini Ha Ha which takes place at the end of September to get our retail fix.  And that works for only the people who sign up for it.  I have been going ever since I heard of it, six years ago and this will be my seventh year.  I will put the website here for anyone who is interested in learning more about it.  http://www.campminihaha.com/  It was at Camp and through the other Nova Scotian miniaturists that I learned about IGMA and miniatures in general as an art form.

I have been making miniatures since I was a kid, using milk cartons and scraps.  Then I graduated to making saddles for my plastic Barbie horse because I didn't like the saddle it had come with.  After university, I started taking pottery classes because I'd always wanted to learn how.  After I came across a book in the library about miniature pottery, I started miniaturising mine.   I also enjoyed building furniture out of wood, not from kits as designing it was half the fun!   There was a bit of a hiatus as real life got in the way and except for some miniature pottery making, I really didn't make a lot.  Instead, I connected with a group of artists and got into sculpting in full size.  Working at a bronze foundry was an eye opening experience and I sculpted mostly horses in bronze to sell.  I still do that though the selling part has always been a challenge.

It was only after I moved back to Nova Scotia that I've really gotten seriously into miniatures, even completing some room boxes, thanks to Camp Mini Ha Ha.  I've always liked making the things that go into rooms rather than the rooms themselves.  So I have a wide range of interests because I like to make as much of the furnishings and accessories as I can.

Among my fellow clubmates, I have a reputation for details and accuracy.  Well, I try!  I hope to post some pictures soon of some of the items I've made.  The other reason I wanted to join is to learn how to market my work and maybe make my passion my main income.

Thanks for welcoming me and I hope to connect to you all very soon!

Jo-Ann

Welcome to the Forum, Jo-Ann! I'm so glad your week at Guild School was a good fit. We all have our sights on "the next class I want to get into". Even me, when I look at the proposals on the board at school, I think if they don't select me to teach, I'll come anyway and take this one, no that one, ooh, then there's that one! And on and on.

Do post your questions about becoming successful at selling miniatures. There are folks here who do it, and more who could use some guidance.

JoAnnS, Welcome to the forum. It was fun to see your work on display at Guild School... I think we were at the same table on Lobster night, but I was terribly sleep deprived when I was at school, so I hope I have my facts filed properly now that I have slept a few nights.  I am amazed by you potters!

Tamra/Indiana

Welcome Jo-Anne! I have to admit I'm jelous for two things: the fact you went to the Guild School and that you have a big miniaturist comunity near you. In my case, I'm trying to build up a mini club in my country, and about Guild School, some day I'll make my experience. So far, I enjoy the things you learn and share!

Archived