Lathe tool post set up hack

MeezerMama

Here is a simple toolpost "fence" for changing setups  when making multiples of an item.   I hate it when I turn something to diameter, record the cross slide dial reading to repeat it with, then realize I need to change the tool to face off the next piece (or switch between LH and RH tools to turn a shoulder).   I use this little fence to set the position of the tool post then when I need to change tools I swap out the entire toolpost with the tool attached.  I can return the first tool to its original position against the "fence".  

The rail under the fence helps square the toolpost to the cross slide (parting tool, for instance, if you don't choose to square it off against the chuck). 

Small, simple part that's micro-mill friendly ... 

IMG_4180b_800px.jpg

You have a LH and RH tool on the cross slide.... that by itself is smart.  I've never tried that before and making LH / RH shoulders with lathe tools instead, which of course is NOT precise.

I don't have any of the silver tool posts.  Did you make that one?  what is the "tool post" stop made from?  And you tapped it?

I am happier if I begin my day using a lathe.

I made the silver tool post from 6061 Aluminum.   It's slotted to hold a 1/8" cutter.   The gold tool post has a "sleeve" that holds the 1/8" cutter at the right height without having to prop it up on another cutter. 

I see.... I always use the 1/8" blank tool bit to get to the correct height.  I do this automatically without ever thinking about it...

I need to find more 6061 aluminum locally; I don't think my home improvement stores have any metal in stock that is large enough to make a tool post, unless I move to steel bar... guess I need to go to a home improvement store....

After using the 1/8" toolpost for years, I am surprised to hear myself say that honestly the channel "sleeve" is just as easy.  I like the sleeve better than using the second 1/8" tool bit as a shim because the bottom tool bit seems to wander around a bit while I'm trying to clamp it in place. 

My channel sleeve is 1/4" h  x  5/32" w  x  about an inch long; whatever stock you can get your hands on.  

A secondary benefit of the channel is that if the right hand wall is .063" thick then you can use an 1/8" cutter in your radius cutter as well. 

D8D3FEFF-6C13-4BF5-9CCF-D4CA7F2FED6F_1_105_c.jpeg