jigs for picture frames

SueV

I could use some help building jigs for miniature picture frames. I don't have a lot of power

equipment, other than a small cut off saw from Micromark. When I make frames for my

paintings, my main concern is cutting them the same sizes.

I would like to have several jigs for different size frames. What would be the best way to do

this? I have a miter box and fine saw that I'm comfortable with. Thank you!

I'm not sure what jigs you are needing to make, Mitering jigs? Gluing jigs? Or a stop block to set for your cut off saw to get the same measurements for each frame? More info please  :)

Linda

Okay. I need to create a jig to hold the piece of picture frame molding steady so that I can cut the same size pieces

every time. Sounds simple, right? ideally I'd like to put a piece of stock in a jig and cut one end, turn it to the other end and cut

again, and not have to fool with trying to get things even. I can easily cut the angles but sometimes I get them too short or

too long.

Wood is not my strong suit :)

Do you always use the same size canvas?  Do you always use the same kind of picture frame molding?   I am guessing that you paint many different sizes of paintings and use different kinds of molding.  I make a jig if I am making a bunch of identical parts. If I made jig to cut 4 pieces of molding for 1 picture - that might make me crazier then usual.  :)

I think it is easier to clamp your molding down to the surface so it doesn't move,  assuming you are right handed, make a mark on your molding for the length, and then clamp a block to the left hand side so the molding doesn't move, then cut a your moldings to the correct length.  I would work on creating a workspace where I can clamp everything down if I'm having trouble getting moldings to match.  Perhaps you can tell us which saw that you own.  I am picturing a miter saw.  I would make myself a workstation for the saw, so I can clamp my molding down. This operation is quite different if you have a table saw. 

If you are doing a lot of pictures, Pete & Pam Boorum have that fabu jig for cutting miters on a table saw.  He can probably demo it for you at the Chicago International show.

If I am just working on 1 picture I just use cutters - I purchased mine a long, long time ago, probably from Lowe's or Menards, but they are similar to this pair that I found on Amazon,  Allied Razor Jaw Utility Cutter, model 31610.  It has a deeper blade, and doesn't crush the molding, unlike the miter cutters that are often sold to hobbyists; they have a wide cutting surface, and crush the moldings.  Tamra

I still think all you need is a stop block. Say your frame is 2 x 3" clamp a stop block on the cut off saw 2" from the blade, cut two pieces, put the stop block 3" from the blade cut the other two (square), then do your mitering cuts.

I put the stop block to cut the same size pieces, then miter, but you could do it that way too. I like to use my mini chop saw that I outfitted with a stop block then use my sander (the little Dremel sander rescued from the trash is my favorite for this) with miter gauge for the miters.

Archived