Carved French wing chair

miraclechicken

post-51-0-15310800-1404522139_thumb.jpg

This is my very first chair. It is totally scratch built. It is hand carved cherry wood. I did some research after being blown away by a picture I found. Then I did a scale drawing. 

post-51-0-64887300-1404522424_thumb.jpg

I carved the legs and front panel, then the sides of the frame. I had to cut a channel in the cherry arms and wings to accept the thin basswood sides.

post-51-0-99382300-1404522921_thumb.jpg

I cut cardboard for the upholstering.

post-51-0-78048400-1404523124_thumb.jpg

Wow, Linda, your chair is just fantastic!

I used to use cardboard too for upholstery in the beginning, but have been concerned about acidity levels in it and that in damp conditions with time it might attract a bit of damp, so I have switched over to using the thin styrene sheets that you normally find in hobby shops that cater for model airplanes and trains.

That reminds me - taskboard is another possibility for upholstery in place of cardboard, and can be molded to shape.  On the other hand, I have furniture that has cardboard under the upholstery, and I haven't had any problems with it.  I do have air conditioning though, and so humidity isn't a problem.

Linda, Your chair is lovely. It is so hard to believe that this is your first one. The carving you did is beautiful.

Very nicely done. Did you make a special scraper for the edges of the wings? They are so even. If you did it with carving tools just by eye, that's doubly impressive.

Thank you friends  :)

Sue from Mesa- I enjoyed using a set of home made carving tools for this project, but nothing special just carving tools by hand.

Archived