Geared locomotive "models"

PJPickard

I just finished these "models" up for the Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad.

I thought some might get a kick out them. The intention was to make deliberately simplified demonstration models of how the basic drive train works for each type of geared engine.  Their new museum opens in a couple of weeks, I also did some graphics that will be in 2 of the old camp cars, that was a collaborative effort with another designer.

There are 3 movies at the end too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20941728@N05/sets/72157645084584028/

Thanks,

Paul

Mods: if you think this does not really belong in this forum, please feel free to delete this post
modify_inline.gif

Nice work Paul. Very good demonstration models.   It might be nice for you to explain just what Shay, Willammette, Heisler and Climax are; how they differ from a regular locomotive for those who don't know.  Maybe even a picture of each type of engine. The museum sounds interesting. Hope I can make it up there someday.

Thanks Bill!

In the actual museum there are graphic panels that explain all the types of locos of course, for readers here  this page does an OK job at explaining the types and has pics of each

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geared_steam_locomotive

I should maybe mention this was pretty much a "dream job" for me...I have been a fan of geared steam engines for a long while. One day I hope to build a "real" model Shay.

Paul

Those are pretty cool, I used to play with 0n3 trains years ago. I think the challenging part of making display models is first you have to keep them simple and second make them bullet proof so the won't be destroyed by kids that feel the need to turn every crank or push every button they see in a museum.

Archived