Round Jupe extension table

oz9ny

Debora brought back my memories about the round Juve extension table. I digged out my old notes and drawings about the capstan table.

I found the Juve extension table a few years ago when searching for another extension table with hidden extension plates.

I made a few drawings of the Juve table but never got to make a test to see if it was possible to make in miniature.

Well here is my first mock-up. Its the part that moves the large plates in and out:

Diameter of rounds is 80mm and the sliders moves a little more than 12mm.

Minimum

minimum.jpg

It moves surprisingly smooth and easy.

Maximum
maximum.jpg
All is made from plywood with thicknesses from 0.4mm to 0.8mm .

Here is how sliders are seated. The round plate is made from 3 pieces of plywood.
P6254391.jpg

Version two was drawn and cut this evening. Assembling will be tomorrow.
I plan for a 2mm up/down movement of the star and extensionplates. Time will show if that's enough.

More to come
Niels

I learn something new every day on this forum.  That's a type of extension that I haven't seen before.  Really cool!

Niels, that is just your sort of thing and it looks you have solved it before loosing too many nights of sleep. Great job. I can wait to see it when I visit next month!

AAH YEAH!! You actually took it on :) I got to the stage of finding the Juve mechanisme as well and fortunately the net opens up more and more info with each day passing. Unfortunately my life and responsibilities has kept me from perusing it, thinking... oh well, one day. Now I'm thrilled to see you worked your head around it too! And your on the right track by the looks of it. Darn good thinking Niels! I'm terribly excited to see you progress, and I'd love if you keep us all posted here!  

ps, I envy you Bill! But i know it will be a joy to see it, even at this stage, so enjoy!   

Progress of the Jupe table.

New bottom layer.

bottom-layer.jpg

Lifting mechanism. Gravity is a big help in realsize furniture so I have to develop some sort of spring mechanism to ensure the right position when the table is closed.

lift-1.jpg

Table in closed position. Temporary plates made from 1mm mdf.

closed.jpg

Table in open position. The table now expands about 12mm /1/2 inch) 
 open.jpg

and at last a screenshot of my cad-drawings for the table.  
screenshot.png

Some of you know that I like to work in smaller scales too! I have just cut the first parts for a table half size of the above. I was thinking of a quarter size too. Maybe some day. Most of the mechanism can be reused in quarter size but material will be photoetched brass instead, the table will then be about the size of a watch :-)

More to come

Niels

This is really cool Niels! I have a question though, not sure if I am missing something, in the first photos I see six arms or whatever you call them moving out, in the photos with the table leaves I see twelve, just wondering where the extra six are coming from and how it fits into the mechanism? I hope you will bring it to Tune, I would love to see it.

I forgot the toplayer. Here it is in low position.

top-layer.jpg

The toplayer is lifted or lowered a little more than 2mm when the tabletop is turned. A mark can be seen on one of the right riser blocks . Both layers is linked together so the arms moves in or out simultaneous. Riser blocks will be mounted on the top arms as well.

/Niels

Thank you Niels, now it makes sense to me, I haven't looked at this kind of mechanisms before at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie,I wanna see a movie,  I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie,

I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie,I wanna see a movie,  I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie, I wanna see a movie,

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! 

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Yeah I got that distinct impression too....

Seriously WOWOW This is incredible, I agree pure genius :)  

• 2 weeks later...

We got to see this the other night and it is just as WOW as you think. Still needs a little tweaking been then just about everything that works does.

Niels whole CNC thing is fascinating, don't think I will ever go there, I mean after all I still don't use a cel phone...... Maybe I'm just a little behind the times? It will be interesting to watch as CNC becomes more popular in the hobby workshop and makes things like this possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow this question about the table ended up in my inbox......

hi, I would like to ask how you developed the mechanism of ascent of the center piece of the table, the star for the completion of the plan. thank you very much?

Is the QCad being converted to something so the CNC can do the cutting?  This is definitely amazing.  Is this going to be taught at Tune?  Making mechanisms for moving tables?  Are there any of these tables in the US so we can see them in real life?

Tamra/Indiana

The QCad drawing is imported into a cam program that generates the file that controls the cnc-machine.

The steps from idea to result is as follows:

1: Idea (Photo, sketch ...)

2: CAD; Draw on computer (QCad, AutoCad, sketchup, Inventor and many others)

3: CAM; Convert drawing to something the cnc-machine understands (SheetCam, MasterCam, CamBam and many others)

4: Load result into cnc-machine (CNC-router, CNC-Mill, lasercutter, 3D-printer, cnc-lathe ....)

5: Happy with result: good else go back to step 1 or 2.

Some programs has both CAD and CAM in one package.

About the Jupe table. I'm stuck at the moment. There is some timing problems because the table is so small. the lifting of the extension plates and especially the star should start within a few degrees of turning the table.

/Niels

PS: Bill, I got my first cell-phone a year ago.

Archived