A piece of a city

miniarquitect

Hello to everybody,

I want to share with you one of my latest work of miniature architecture in 1/12 scale.
It is something very different, because it is inspired by Barcelona's streets, its sidewalks, its art-nouveau façades.
So it is not only a room-box, it is a piece of city.
I like to take photos of my miniatures outside, as they were real buildings, It is funny to watch how sun plays with the façade while draws deep shadows, or to see the effect of the miniature bulbs at night.
It is my first façade made of stone, artificial stone of course, but it keeps the texture, colour and shine of the real one!
I wish you enjoy

post-96-0-67130700-1402246607_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-88039100-1402246613_thumb.jpg

another example of this imaginary city: an art-nouveau cafe that could have been existed.

post-96-0-95252500-1402483587_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-27894200-1402483618_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-94591900-1402483621_thumb.jpg

Great.... Love the lighting.... Do you have any photos of the photo setup showing you as a giant?

Thanks for sharing this.

thank you for your comment. Unfortunately when I do the final photos of my miniatures I try to use natural light in order to be as realistic as possible, and my face in them can destroy this magical moment!!.

But, if what you want is to see the café just as a miniature, here you have a photo.

post-96-0-63356600-1402847489_thumb.jpg

The effects in the first photos are nice but I really do like the last better as it gives me a feeling of the model. Very beautiful work.

Bill

Dear Bill,

thank you so much for your comment. I assume  that many people thinks like you, for this reason I would like to explain my opinion about that.

First of all, there is no secret in my photos. They are not sophisticated setups. I go outside with my miniatures, on a terrace with the blue sky and trees as a landscape and I shoot photos with a compact camera  (a Canon powershot). After, I check them in my PC in order they are not blurred and that's all!!.

The visual feelings we have when we watch a real piece of furniture or any other object, are not very different to that we have when we admire a miniature.

The image we have of a chair, for example, that we have seen in a museum or at home is not very different from that we have photographed with a neutral background or inside of ours structures.

the kind of light and the size of the object are comparable, so the information we store in our mind of the original one and the miniature are the same, and in well done miniatures we don't distinguish whether is real or not if we are deprived of a known reference like a coin or a finger or..

But architecture is different. First of all we see the façades always under a natural light, sunlight, and the inside of a building under artificial light of lamps or spotlights.

Secondly, due to the size of a building, we cannot have a complete feeling of it. If we are very far, other buildings, cars, trees, etc   disturb our vision. Or sometimes the street is so narrow that we can not see in its entirety.

So the real feeling of architecture is in many cases from the sidewalk, and always fragmented: a door,  balconies, part of a shop window. The texture, colours, the finishes, brightnesses and shadows, all this arrive to our brain and then we build this building in our mind. But always is a subjective image. The foreshortening image don't help us to check the real sizes of the buildings, and many times the architectural elements are bigger or smaller to that we have imagined!

And  control these things which in many cases you cannot touch like light or shadow in order the miniature can be alive and real is not an easy excercise

So it is quite logical, in my opinion, that "by day" I use only the sunlight and "by night" only the miniature lights I have made for my structures, and for this reason photos must be fragmented as if I was walking along the street.

For a few minutes, my miniature architecture has been real, has been alive, although I know that, like Cinderella, when I put it on a table this miniature will be just a model!

http://www.artmajeur.com/miniarquitect

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what you said about our views of real life architecture being fragmented, but I also enjoyed seeing the picture of the full model just to get a feel for the total structure.  It's stunning work, and I especially love the way you work with lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

The effect is amazing and the work stunning! Thanks for sharing the info, Fragmented, makes perfect sense and is so realistic. Love this---

Once again these are wonderful, just love the light effects, etc.

Thank you for showing them.

Once again these are wonderful, just love the light effects, etc.

Thank you for showing them.

thank you, although, after visiting the work of Niels and his round Jupe extension table I feel depressed!!!!

The image we have of a chair, for example, that we have seen in a museum or at home is not very different from that we have photographed with a neutral background or inside of ours structures.

the kind of light and the size of the object are comparable, so the information we store in our mind of the original one and the miniature are the same, and in well done miniatures we don't distinguish whether is real or not if we are deprived of a known reference like a coin or a finger or..

But architecture is different. First of all we see the façades always under a natural light, sunlight, and the inside of a building under artificial light of lamps or spotlights.

Secondly, due to the size of a building, we cannot have a complete feeling of it. If we are very far, other buildings, cars, trees, etc   disturb our vision. Or sometimes the street is so narrow that we can not see in its entirety.

This is true and the last photos against the sky etc are great!

Odd thing is with small scale such as HO railroads, it seems that no matter how good the photos are and the lighting, I can always tell something is not right, the locomotive and station look real but something always looks "off" that gives it away, not sure what it is exactly but maybe the buildings and things having too sharp, straight and crisp lines and edges is what does it, no brick wall is ever perfect they all will have dings, chips, defects, etc and those are usually absent in those resin casts used in most of those model railroads.

You could put your cafe photos on flicker and no one could tell they were not of a real place!

Hello, Artist

thank you so much for your comments.

I agree on what you say about these small structures, but I would be incapable of working in such scales, HO is 1/87, If I had to make the cafe in this scale, I would die trying!!!

Two more photos of this cafe, at night

post-96-0-98752500-1406455989_thumb.jpg

and dawn

post-96-0-73345000-1406455984_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Every year, Christmas lighting starts earlier.

Today, November 21st begins in Barcelona for this reason the shopwindows which start this topic have been conveniently redecorated according to this Christmas atmosphere, to see if any passer decides to cheer and go buy something!!!

post-96-0-25577600-1416580610_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-00133000-1416580630_thumb.jpg

Archived