Tiny dividers from drafting sets

Wm. R. Robertson

As many of you may know I sort of collect antique tools for doing fine work. One area is drafting. The other day I picked up a drafting set with the smallest dividers and bow compasses I have ever seen. These were only 2" long making them perfect for work in those tiny places. This set is late 19 th c. English.

So keep your eyes out for these little things and please don't destroy a complete antique set if you find one. It would almost be a crime to take a divider out and lose it from a early set that has stayed together for hundreds of years.

post-5-0-21731600-1401858764_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-90003800-1401858774_thumb.jpg

This is a nice set. Is there some kind of tutorial on the web that explains what each tool is used for? I have some of these...not at home, right now so I can't look at them, but I know I have the dividers in a leather cased box with other drafting tools...also think there is a compass in the set, but I don't know what they were used for.

There is a yahoo drawing instrument site, you have to sign up on and you can get into the files which have a lot about instruments. There are also books on these. If not too many post them here and I'll tell you what they are.....

Did one of the machinist co.s make a really tiny dividers? At a fleamarket in Lambertville, NJ about 10 years ago I saw the smallest ones I had ever seen....and stupidly passed on them. Next week they were gone. Never have seen any like it before, maybe not as small as the ones in your pic...but close.

Paul

Archived