Parlor Stove

Catherine Ronan

This is/was the Chrysnbon parlor stove. I cast all the pieces in bronze. It was rather plain stove so I added a lot of casting wax embellishment to the plastic before it was cast. In hindsight, I probably should have cast the silver pieces in nickel silver and dulled them way down after it was finished. If I wanted to use this piece I could plate them and do that.

When you add wax to plastic you have to be very sure it is welded on and cannot come off. Other wise when you vacuum invest your flasks the added wax parts can break free in the investment. I did that with a hot needle all around the edge of each addition.

post-20-0-07010100-1401578777_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-72022500-1401578779_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-11905100-1401578805_thumb.jpg

This stove floored me! I would have loved to have watched you  wowwwww---

That is a beautiful stove Catherine!  Well Done!  Where did you learn to do castings?  Are you using the lost wax casting method?  I think I would not have been so creative to get the desired effect of bronze, I would have painted the plastic bronze color, but this looks like your investment in knowledge, technique and time has created a wonderful piece. 

Tamra/Indiana

Thank you Tamra... I learned how to do lost wax casting in art school. I majored in small metals. Meaning non-ferrous metals rather than blacksmith work. The stove is actually a lot darker then it is in these photos. They came out very dark and I had to lighten them up so the detail could be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

You know Catherine, by chance do you have any pictures of the castings before you started to clean them up? That would be neat to see and would show just how much work this is..... I know it is a lot!

Thanks

Bill.

I never thought about taking photos of the castings before they were cleaned up. Next time perhaps.

Archived