Wood Carving

Bill Hudson

In response; here's an episode of a wonderful documentary series called 'Carved with Love, that was a part of 'Handmade in Britain'.  It was aired in 2013, by BBC 4 (British Broadcasting Company). This episode features the genius Grinling Gibbons. It's almost an hour, so beware. But if you do, sit back and enjoy. You won't be disappointed. His work is mind-blowing!

Carved.With.Love.The.Genius.of.British.Woodwork.s01e02.Glorious.Grinling.Gibbons.PDTV.x264.ATHENA wso from Mastergen on Vimeo.

If you enjoyed you might want to search the net for more of this series. How about 'The divine art of carpentry' or one dedicated to Chippendale?

Thanks Debora, I watched the first part of Chippendale this morning in bed on the IPad...... But to watch the rest I will go downstairs and play it on the big TV..... I think I'll have to watch the whole series....... And to think I am already behind in my work?

Thanks for the video links Debora.  Finally found time to watch them.  Did not make it to bed until 1:30 am.

Ooh I know... Why doesn't the day have 48 hrs, huh?

Bill H. you mentioned his lace piece. I believe David Hurley has recreated that in miniature. I thought I'd a picture of it... but can't find it :( I hope he reads this, as he's become a member here too, and shares it with us. It's stunningly done!

• 4 months later...

I started this thread with Grinling Gibons carving style now I would like to introduce to another carver whom I have been following on Facebook. He is a Japanese carver and I do not know his name as I do not read the language. But please take time to scroll through his photos. It will be well worth your time.  Scattered in the photos are some of his methods of starting the project using a grid method.

https://www.facebook.com/376877732368103/photos/a.377690408953502.103539.376877732368103/721440144578525/?type=1&theater

Archived