Jorgensen *Miniature* Clamps

WeekendMiniaturist

Being beyond stir crazy, I attended an auction with Dear Husband on Saturday and bought 4 Wood Hand screws for woodworking projects... but wouldn't these be fun to make as miniature?  DH had some knock - off kits and he gave me a kit to examine today.    (For the most part I kept my distance from everyone and was the runner of his stuff back to the vehicle; I'm sure I surpassed my 10,000 steps for the day!) 

The Long Screws have left and right threads...  The left and right threads allow for different or irregular thickness and odd shapes to be clamped.

I have 0-80 RH taps and dies in my little Morris set; at least I am assuming that it is a right hand threads.  I found Left hand 0-80 taps and die, but also assuming my Left Hand and Right Hand thread pitch needs to be identical for the screws to work..?  Of course this last statement is a bit theoretical and definitely not proven as I have not ordered the LH tap & die. I will confirm the pitch before placing the order...  A larger assumption is that as long as the right hand tap and die are mated; that it doesn't matter if my LH and RH tap & die pitch is identical.

I put this topic in metal work... what kind of metal rod should I use?  Obviously, I can use a long bolt and remove the existing threads from the long bolt, or drill rod, or used drill bits... but how do you decide what is best metal to use for your project?

Making these clamps, in addition to violin type clamps in TSC has been on my things to make list for a long time...and using a die doesn't even require me to turn on the lathe to create the threads!

And then next, something witty to have lasered on the side of the clamps?

Prior to the shutdown and the nationwide travel ban, I made a little trip into Chicago to purchase a gently used small glass kiln, so in theory, I can temper metals from  1650 degrees farenheit max temperature.

<Light Bulb!>  So the seed was planted here in the FMF... I don't know what sizes I am going to make in 1/12th scale,

This price about 40-50% less than MSCDirect... (where I can pickup)  - and what I am contemplating at the present time for ordering.

I think these sizes will correspond to the Morris Set; I think I remember the Morris Set did not have a 0-90 Tap & Die, so these are the

smallest LH Taps and Dies available from www.victornet.com

image.png

image.png

I looked at JI Morris and the website is not cooperative... as the descriptions require you click on each item to READ as they used a very light gray, almost white font, so I lack patience to establish if they have left hand thread taps & dies... I am assuming everyone else that has in imported Left Hand Tap & Die will be made in China or Taiwan... although I think MSC does allow you to click made in the USA in your search parameters.

I'm not going into production; so hopefully I will be able to make a decision as soon as I decided on metal for the long screws & barrel screw inserts.

Enlarging the monitor is helpful with the JI Morris website.  I called and the company was purchased by SWISSTURN about 3 years ago.  They do not make any LH Taps & Dies at the present time.

I purchased the Left hand taps & dies and they were delivered today.  So I'm looking for any recommendations from the FMF on metals to purchase for my barrel nuts and long screws.  I know I will make them in 1/12th scale, but will probably make some larger ones later for use in assembling miniature projects.

Tamra

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:19 PM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

wouldn't these be fun to make as miniature?   .....

And then next, something witty to have lasered on the side of the clamps?

I made these several years ago.  There are various designs for these.  The one I chose has one end of each post RH threaded and the other end LH threaded.   The threading was challenging; I probably should have used mild steel. 

Sure wish I had thought of lasering something on them before I made them ...   

IMG_5423b_800px.jpg

On 9/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

So I'm looking for any recommendations from the FMF on metals to purchase for my barrel nuts and long screws. 

Use 12L14 steel.   Brass was a big mistake.  It was like threading a noodle.

I think I can purchase 12L14 Steel at the home improvement store, so no shipping... but I've not threaded steel before.  The brass is so lovely with this particular species of wood though. it looks like cherry from this distance.

I did purchase my LH Taps and dies in 2020 and I do know they are in my toolbox!

I don't know what to Laser on them... hmmm, but going to the local makerspace on Friday for a very brief miniature pottery class.

I am almost finished with WRR 2nd planter for my Guild School 2022 class,  just need to assemble 2 more decorative fret(s) find the correct drill bit to assemble the 4 turnings on each piece and make the bracket feet and will post a photo soon.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think 12 pieces of 2" length pieces of 12L14 Steel arrived today from MetalbytheFoot from Kansas City. 

I bought 2" length pieces of Steel and some 8" x 2" piece of sheet brass ...  Is shipping really $15 for 3 lbs from KC to Indiana?  Ouch....

Perhaps I should have bought 12L14 Hex rod though for the nut that is embedded on the inside of the clamp...  will have to study 

the kit instructions if I can find them again.

The question is, will I need 10-12 pieces to get a pair of clamps?  Yep, I better go find those kit instructions...