Finding Very Thin Glass

Catherine Ronan

I want to start making some windows for a project I am planning. The only thing that is holding me back is the glass. I would love to find some that looks old but I would just be happy with the thinnest out there. They are going to be French casement windows. A two pane width on each side.

How thin and how big, Catherine?

I started glazing the doors for my Cape Dutch house last week and are using microscope slides, they are 1mm thick, and perfect if you need small panes. I am pretty happy with how easy they are to score and snap, here are some in progress photos. Luckily for me the smaller dimension on the microscope slide was exactly right for the height of my panes. This glass cutter is on my tool wish list, it will make the task of cutting small panes the same size so much easier and I am still going to need to cut a lot of panes for all the windows in this house.

http://www.franklinartglass.com/shop/item.aspx/cutting-mat-strip-circle-cutter-combo/2279/

imagejpg1_zps86301d8f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsce2e83f1.jpg

I found .8mm thickness glass at Delphi Glass.  8" x 12" at $4.25 each.  I don't know if you will find any with impurities at present time, but a stained glass supplier is a great resource.  It is pretty easy to cut glass, especially glass this thin; but you can practice cutting glass by asking for cutoffs from you local glass shop (ask for 1/16" glass to practice on) and then the .8mm will seem like nothing to score and snap.

Tamra/Indiana

If you have it folks might find it helpful to post the link to Delphi Glass.....

In this section it is just find to post where to get it. I might even have to order in some of that!

Thanks

George Wrisley, 17784 SE Paradise Drive Milwaukie, Oregon, USA telephone (503)653-2591 sells glass .038" thick in 6"x7" sheets, or he will cut it to size for you. He also sells thin mirror glass.

Thank you Tamra, good to know one can find it in bigger sizes, I have asked at our stained glass suppliers, but no luck, seems the thinnest you get here is 2mm. Guess I will have to get some when I visit the US again.

I just searched for it, so here is the link.

http://www.delphiglass.com/collage-art-jewelry/tools-supplies/micro-thin-clear-glass-0-8mm

I bought about a dozen sheets many years ago from an add in the Nutshell News. It lasted me years butI can not find the address now. If you can not find thin glass you can use regular single strength glass 1/16 in thick. If you can fit it into you windows you can paint the edges of the glass with a black ink marker. This keeps the depth from showing. Maybe I should skip my popcorn wagon thread to how I beveled glass for my windows.

Great information! Thank you everyone! This is exactly what I hoped for.

Bill,

I am looking forward to seeing how you beveled glass.

Thin glass can be found in old photo slides - 26,7 mm x 38,7 mm, 0,7 mm thick. One side is completely smooth, the other has a slightly bubbly surface. I have hundreds of them, so if you cannot find any, I'll send you some. post-59-0-83208900-1399714638_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Google will bring up a number of glass suppliers who sell clear glass that is 1 mm or  a little less, normal window glass is closer to 1/8" thick. I used to do stained glass windows years ago, trick to cutting such thing fragle glass is cutting it on a completely flat/smooth/hard surface, using a little oil on a NEW glass cutter and don't let the wheel of the cutter go  crunch...  off the edge of the glass either! rolling off the edge of the glass is a sure fire way to shatter the glass.

Firm pressure and only make a one direction single score don't go back and forth on the score line!

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice to see that some place in the US sell small sheets of thin glass affordably. In Australia I haven't been able to find a supplier of very thin sheet glass, only microscope glass. I did find that some of the cheap Chinese picture frames at the discount store have 1.2mm glass in them so 210mm x 297mm for $3.00, also glass mirror in plastic frames about 1.3mm thick.

Finding it with Google is easy enough, it's the cutting of it without shattering the piece of glass that is the hard part, you need an absolutely flat smooth surface with no give on it to cut this, regular window glass is much easier to cut and will take a lot more pressure without breaking as you score to cut.

If you are really intent on using glass, then follow the suggestions that have allready been posted.

Now if you want something that is far easier to use than glass, looks like glass and is a lot easier to work with than glass ?

Then look no further than the clear acetate sheets, A4 sized, that are used for those overhead projectors, that most would have seen in school. This stuff you can cut with a razor, or even scissors, so if it's a tad to big to fit into the frame, no worries, just trim a bit more from the edge.

When it's used as small panes for a segmented window, then you will NEVER get it exactly flat, there will always be some minor twist or imperfection with the small clear acetate sheets, don't worry about that at all, as this now gives you an effect of old piece of glass fitted into the frame, this can be readily seen when somebody looks at it with a light shining from it.

This stuff is about 0.010" to 0.020" thick and doesn't need any attention to the edge at all, as it's so thin and it sure fools the eye, which is what a "miniaturist" is always trying to do anyway.

If you think that it might be a bit hard to acquire some of this clear acetate sheeting, then go get hold of some old clear shirt box tops, these are made from the same sheet acetate, then try this stuff out, you will be amazed at how easy it is to use.

Recycling at it's best !

regards  greenie.

Acetate is ok? but if you really want it to look and last, real glass IMHO is the best in miniature to replicate glass. If you do decide to go with plastic I would suggest HDPE (Hi density polyethylene), it is what your soft drink bottles are made of, you can buy it by the sheet in various thicknesses from .5mm up and comes with a plastic peel off protection. It is able to be cut by laser cutter or with scissors or sharp knife. It has a long life and as anyone who's seen plastic bottles washed up on a beach, it doesn't yellow with age, but like all plastics it is susceptible to scratch easily, whereas if you need to refinish your windows at some stage Catherine they can be stripped or refinished and glass doesn't care but plastics don't like chemicals.

• 6 months later...

The Lawbre Company for many years offered sheets of the very thin float glass for making dollhouse windows. I don't see it listed on their website at the moment but they do have contact information on the website.  http://lawbre.com/index.html

Archived