Chinese Cart

Bill Hudson

My shop (9 feet wide x 11 feet long before work benches added)  is so  small it would be a tight squeeze with the two of us in there at the same time. 

I think I understand the rings, but the iron work at the back of the cart; when I enlarge my screen it is out of focus, so I'm curious about these details.  (I click on the photo, and use "Ctrl and +"  combination keys on my keyboard and I can enlarge the picture.) 

Are you using iron?  Do I just buy wrought iron bars?   I am admittedly confused how artisans decide on the materials to use; my natural instinct tells me to use the same materials that was used in real life.

Did you have to steam the top pieces of wood to get them to bend over its circular form?  My veneer bends very easily in this direction, but your pieces look thicker then my veneer.

(I recently tried to use veneer for a trunk and was not terrible impressed with my results on that one either - another abandoned project - more of an issue that I want a different underlying formed top, then the kit; so need to carve out a different top.)

Thank you for sharing the cart's progress with us- you are close to the finish...

P.S. 🙂.  I do understand; I think a 25' x 25' workshop would allow me to have ALL my equipment setup on benches... it's nice dream for me... but I share dear husband's shop and all his full size equipment; there is never enough room.  There is a sign in the shop... "My Husband and I are doing a workshop together... he works, and I shop."  Seriously, the is not a miniaturist, he just critiques me - tells me when my finish is muddled... not the words he uses, but you get the point...

I assume you are talking about the fancy brackets.  I sawed then from brass stock.  This picture is from the original cart. I use what ever material works best for me.  The brackets are from brass. The caps on the shafts as well as the caps on the rear of the frame are from tin. I tried to use .010 steel but didn't like the way it sawed and it was too brittle for sharp bends. The bows on top are laminated up from three layers of 1/64" model plywood. I made a form to clamp  them in while the glue dried. 

.brackets.jpeg.b5ec4217c4c8cefe1bfdfc9a52f37202.jpeg 

• Like 1

I'm guessing it is a 2 part fixture, allowing easy access to insert the wood.   After the wood has been boiled or steam, you place the piece of wood inside the fixture, clamp and let dry?

Not that complicated. Yes two part.  I just glue both sides of the center layer and press them to gather and force into fixture. A tight clamping compresses the bow to shape. Once glue has dried the bow is removed and another one made. It helps to lightly wax the insides of the fixture and to use wax paper under the fixture. I rarely steamer boil wood for bending. I found an old heated round hair brush and pulled the brush off leaving the heated tube. I clamp this down on my bench and run the wood over the heated tube, bending as I go. Eventually the wood will take shape. This is an old model shipbuilding technique for planking  the hull. 

This is very helpful, as I boiled my oak earlier this year for my trunk and it resulted in discolored wood - which looked aged and ok... but for some strange reason, I was not prepared for the oak to now look gray and weathered.... another ah hah moment in miniatures.  I like your technique better with a heated hair brush.  I could also look for a larger diameter curling iron.  I used waxed paper for my Scale Cabinetmaker piano case, but did not think of using wax on the 2 part wooden mold that I cut out.

A little more: designing and making braces, brackets  and rings. Because of the smaller scale I modified the brackets on the side of the cart. The drawings are applied to brass via spray mastic and are then cut out with a jeweler saw. These will be the upright braces that hold the body to the frame. The rings will be mounted on the sides at various places. I will not be making as many as are on the original cart. Some carts do not have these rings or a any of them as on the original cart. I think on this cart they are more decorative than utility.  Upon close inspection of the original photos, the side brackets with huge nails are not in reality large nails, just applications fo decorative purposes. Close inspection of the photo shows these are plates with the applied bumps. The plates are nailed to the cart via smaller nails. 

190938150_brace-1(3).jpeg.d5208b1b2a4d5fb002a161aee2888bf6.jpeg945278487_brace-1.thumb.jpeg.17b4918ec13147600867df69777ecf39.jpeg2054566672_brackets1copy.thumb.jpeg.6dc03850c61bc3d6c6de447a538581e3.jpeg513930680_brace-1(4).jpeg.7799205f9aab9370946935d3e20ba599.jpeg

• Like 1

Bending the brackets to shape using a little aluminum block I machined from scrap. The photos are in reverse of the process. I find it a real struggle to post photos in correct order here. It works to keep  all bends and lengths the same.  These brackets anchor the body to the frame.  If all goes well I should have the construction phase done tomorrow. Only a little detailing and aging left to do. I envision this being used and some what old. I vision an oc pulling it and a drive sitting on the front floor. At this point it is just a vision.

1946182530_brackets-1(3).thumb.jpeg.351ee55dd6dfcc37ccf1decc757fda52.jpeg2050238535_brackets-1(2).jpeg.6c1714335ec85b27635ab9d8923617ec.jpeg17046684_brackets-1(1).jpeg.8ae7ce90a97e6a4386877f80e43d873e.jpeg1610981098_brackets-1.jpeg.feae3c22aab9679ea2070bfaca13e5b9.jpeg

The Chinese Cart is finished. It was a fun project that challenged my new lost abilities. I'm kind of sad it is finished but ready to go on to something different. 

1968708442_cart-1copy.jpeg.609f1a58f5dae7407d6ba23c7356fb0c.jpeg433171536_cart-1(1)copy.jpeg.57672b4dfcc24e8c9db8e4e986aff832.jpeg1838466410_cart-1(2)copy.jpeg.17381dd487f00e0c62f998352efa5a89.jpeg

Congratulations!  It is a beautiful cart!  I hope you can find an ox to pull the cart.

This is amazing, and it seemed the project flowed well for you.

I have some mudmen that might be the right human size for the cart.

I also find photos challenging on the FMF.  I think I will try to post one picture per post.

This one is pulled by a mule.  Many of these carts were covered with a canvas like material to keep out the wind, rain but probably not much of the cold. My vision is like this but with an ox and not covered. 

th.jpeg.7fb53c8f83f2140f4ca6ee43624b62c0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Where does one buy a 1/12th scale ox?  You probably thought of this in advance, but I think I forgot to ask about scale of this most impressive cart.

I was entranced by the wheel building and beautiful hardware...!

Kerri P makes the most beautiful animals... I have a Unicorn that is my soon to be costumed Lady Isabella's companion for my 4th quarter project?

Kerri is also in Oregon....

I hope you are safe!

Yes I know Kerri.  We have talked.  I am planning on making my own ox if I ever get around to it.  Right now I am going in a different direction back to metal work. 

copper kettle 1.jpg

What kind of box is this?  This  will be a wonderful copper project... I'll be tuned in!  I want to try an make my own hinges.

It is a field Kettle set. What you call a box is a large water kettle. Stored inside the kettle are accessories for making tea and hot chocolate. At this point in time I don't know much more about it. I am just starting to gather information to start developing it. Then I will develop drawings and patterns before even thinking of cutting metal. Once I reach point of sharing I will start a new thread just for it. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I could not get this project of the ground. The tiny details are too much for my nearly dead fingers. Perhaps some day I will make it in a larger scale. I really like this kettle kit. 

I will probably go back to making wagons. I have pictures of a little grocery delivery wagon. I found it at an antique fair several years ago. I am in the process of drawing it up now.

I am really reluctant to post the progress here as no one seems to be reading this forum. If they are then they are not responding. I put a lot of mu time and energy posting photos of the progress of my projects but I feel I am talking to myself. 

The Chinese kart was a wonderful project to watch unfold; I don't know why the forum is so quiet.  But I check in to see what is happening in the miniature world!