Crochet Afghans

ElgaKoster

Although I learned how to crochet as a child from my grandma, it never really caught my imagination as I found it repetive and boring. Last year I stumbled across a South African designer's full scale afghans and they made my heart sing, they are full of texture and certainly not boring!

I have been experimenting with different threads and hook sizes.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d6b44f2d83f738b821f3dbd6be72ffe.jpeg

First up is the Phoenix, I am using Mettler 50wt cotton sewing thread and a 0.5mm crochet hook. In the beginning it was quite stiff but the larger it gets the more I have hope that it will drape nicely. At the moment it is 13mm (5 1/4") square, I plan to make it big enough to fit as a bedspread on a scale double bed.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c8ad10bdc494d7cdca7150e1930fb12.jpeg

This pattern is called Briar Rose and I am using Venne silk thread from The Netherlands for it with a 0.6mm hook. It is lovely and soft but as the thread splits easily because it isn't a tight twist I don't think I will use it for intricate patterns.

image.thumb.jpeg.e857254464ff807a1345aea5d2bd8d21.jpeg

And this one is the Atlanticus pattern, for this I am using Mettler 60wt cotton sewing thread and a 0.4mm hook. I was surprised by how much easier it was to crochet with the thinner thread and hook on the stitches that gave me trouble on the pink bedspread. Unfortunately I can't find this thread in South Africa and will have to wait to get more when I visit the US again. I bought the colors I have at a closing down sale of a quilt shop in Houma, Louisiana last year and there weren't many left.

For now I will concentrate on finishing the pink bedspread before continuing with the others.  

• Like 1

Oh wow!   Gorgeous.    These are just unbelievable.   Elga - is there any talent you don't possess?    You are amazing.

Elga, this is an incredible accomplishment!  The first almost finished piece is exquisite!  I did not know that Mettler had a 60 wt cotton thread.  I have a stash of Mettler cotton, but relatively sure it is the common 50 wt... but I will be checking inventory when I visit quilt shoppes.

I also love the fabric - under the Phoenix design... it reminds me a Liberty of London print, if the pattern is on the selvedge, could you let me know what it says?

Tamra, thank you. Red Rock threads sell the 60wt Mettler. I have some Aurifil too in 50 and 80wt, wonderful soft threads, Red Rock also stock these.

The fabric is from Liberty, I bought it at a sale from a shop in Johannesburg that imports a lot of the Liberty cotton lawns, they have a sale twice a year, the piece I got is small and says nothing on the selvedge.  The shop has been in existence since 1902 and I only discovered them last year! Oh well, better late than never. Just as well they are a 40 minute drive from me, as it is I wonder if my fabric stash will ever be used up.

Elga, I thought I recognized your fabric!  It is called "Elizabeth".    I like yours much better then mine as the color is softer!  I tried to purchase a 2nd piece from a different vendor and the dye lots were definitely different.  I ordered online, and purchased the first piece from Mood Fabric in NY and then the 2nd piece from Duck-A-Dilly in Ann Arbor, MI and the colors of the roses are definitely different.  I love Liberty Tana Lawn, and even purchased some for me to sew into blouses; I think it is equally soft as Swiss Batiste Cottons that we would use for heirloom sewing for the little girls in our lives (Scale miniature and real people size).

Here is the link for the fabric, while it still works.

https://www.duckadilly.com/products/liberty-of-london-tana-lawn-elizabeth?_pos=5&_sid=ae78ea500&_ss=r

I will also check out Red Rock for threads, I think I have purchased silk from this store in the past, but I haven't purchased any cottons, as I was sourcing them locally, but my store closed after 40+ years in business.  I have just a couple of items that I want to be crocheted, and I think with lots of practice I will at least have a chance of success with crochet!  Miniature Knitting isn't going to happen until I figure out how to knit with less tension, I think that particular skill is going to take 1000s of hours of practice for me!  I admire all who have all these different skills!

• 1 month later...

I’m in the Detroit airport on a layover waiting for my flight to the Guild Show (first time attending) and thought I’d look at the forum. I too have been experimenting with crochet. Right now, I’ve worked down to #40 thread with a .6mm hook. I’ll get smaller soon. 

Elga, your work is so pretty. 

695CB089-064B-4DD1-821D-37F60F2CDEA6.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Julia, did you have fun at the Guild Show?  Your crocheted bed cover looks wonderful, and it provides additional inspiration for people like me, who have never tried to crochet in miniature scale.  How long have you been crocheting?   The cat looks real!

Elga, I am happy to report that I was able to find the soft colored Elizabeth print from the Duckadilly, store.  I'm so glad that you posted your photo with this fabric in the background, as I would not have known that it was available in a softer colors. The third purchase has proven to be quite charming!  Now I will remind myself to be brave and use scissors to cut and use it!

• Like 1

I’ve been crocheting for decades so it’s been a matter of using finer thread and smaller hooks. 

I really enjoyed the Guild show. I took a couple of classes and spent a bit too much at the show. 

There were several crocheters and knitters who gave me some useful pointers and ideas. Blocking is something I want to do better.