Planning for Electrical runs

WeekendMiniaturist

I need some suggestions, as I am tiptoeing into my first custom built by moi, room box and I need to make some decisions about lighting.

My Guild Study Program class subject was the fireplace and overmantle... but I really think I need some additional lighting for the room, so considering two sconce on each side of the overmantle, even though the original room box does not have lights.  It is probably side lit and hidden in the wall as the rooms are all fully enclosed at the Chicago Art Institute, and hopefully, this room is actually going to live in my Georgian/Federal dollhouse.

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/43708/e-8-english-bedroom-of-the-georgian-period-1760-75

I like hardwire, as I think tape wire is very difficult to manage under wallpaper, so I'm planning cutting a saw kerf width for hardwire runs.  My million dollar question is how high do I place the sconces on each side of the fireplace, or do I just cut the entire 12" height and make the determination later?  I have to find someway to make the wall smooth again, so also considering using a dremel with a portable fence to cut a very small space in the wall for electricity.

I think I need a class on fundamentals of lighting a set...  are there any recommendations?  I will look at Brook Tucker's Christmas roombox book tonite, but she used those large, large light bulbs, and will re-read the threads here on the FMF.

Tamra, there are many ways to make the channel to hide the wires. My favorite is to use a straight 1/8” router bit and do it on the router table. I’ve also used that bit in a handheld router and used an edge guide to keep my cut straight. Your Dremel should work fine, too.

The height needs to be determined by the height of your mantle and the decorative elements in your overmantle. I would try to line up the sconces with the lower decorative elements. Looking at your inspiration room, the sconces could certainly go on the bed wall and if you do an alcove like in the Thorne room, your electrification can go behind the alcove, thus negating the need to route a channel.

I may have pictures of how I feed my hardwire, if you’d like. 

Martha

On 8/7/2019 at 8:40 AM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I have to find someway to make the wall smooth again, so also considering using a dremel with a portable fence to cut a very small space in the wall for electricity.

21 hours ago, Mesouth said:

My favorite is to use a straight 1/8” router bit and do it on the router table.

If you use Martha's approach, you can cut a 1/8" wide strip of wood and place/glue it in the channel over the wire, everyplace except where the wire protrudes for the sconce.   Then it should just be a minor effort to smooth over that strip of wood to get the wall flat/smooth.   Much easier than messing around trying to fill in an entire groove. 

Yes, I have some 1/8" cut offs from the wall cuts saved just for this purpose.  Son #2 thought I was crazy.  I think it was a perfect, one eyebrow raised look, and telepathically he was saying, "Good Grief Mom, can you throw anything away??!! "  The good news is that he didn't actually verbalize what he was thinking. 

Martha, yes, I would appreciate any photos of the hardwire approach.

My new to me Lawbre shell is hard wire grooves are backfilled with combination of plywood, and some kind of resin.  It is a little odd.  In my sleep I was trying to figure out how I could install miniature conduit, which of course seems like a little overkill and limits future access for repairs.  

This is very helpful!  Thank you for the conversation.  I am also going to study W-B and museum photos for lighting.  I have the Maysville Museum book, and photos from my visit at the KC Toy & Miniatures museum.  I purchased Lucy Askew's lovely and incredible Chippendale style mirror, so I think I will see if she has any matching sconces!